Cisco Support Community
Community Member

ipv6 rip metric-offset and these two scenario

I know it is not a cisco documentation , but I just want to compare the concept

BigIron(config)# interface ethernet 3/1

BigIron(config-if-e100-3/1)# ipv6 rip metric-offset 1

BigIron(config-if-e100-3/1)# ipv6 rip metric-offset out 3

In this example, if Ethernet interface 3/1 learns about an incoming route, it will increase the incoming metric by two (the default offset of 1 and the additional offset of 1 as specified in this example). If Ethernet interface 3/1 advertises an outgoing route, it will increase the metric by 3 (default offset of zero in an outgoing update message)as specified in this example

As you can see for the incoming route, the metric is 1 (not zero), and for the outgoing route the default metric is zero (not one)

If I want to apply the same concepts (not default metric values) to a cisco documentation in the link below ?

The following example configures a metric increment of 10 for the RIP routing process named cisco on Ethernet interface 0/0:

Router(config)# interface ethernet 0/0

Router(config-if)# ipv6 rip cisco metric-offset 10

Since the default metric is 1 as cisco mentioned (Is it for both incoming and outgoing ? I am not sure) Shouldn't the offset here be 11 ???? the reason I am saying that: Since interface metric value is added before the route is inserted into the routing table, and since the default metric is 1, therefore 1+10=11.

CreatePlease to create content