Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Is 768 enough between remote office and headquarters.

Looking for anyone with some stories (or nightmares) to tell regarding connecting remote offices. To date, we have done several but only to support communication between SRST and the call manager. Now, we are considering a remote office with approximately 15 users sharing data off a server at headquarters on a 768/768 DSL line. This line would be part of a private network connecting the remote with headquarters. My guess is that I'd have to some type of caching on the client but am not sure where to begin. To date, these remote users have less than 10 GB used on their server so it doesn't make sense for me to invest there.

1 REPLY

Re: Is 768 enough between remote office and headquarters.

Are the two offices networked using VPN ?

I am not a big fan of using VOIP over internet as there is not a lot of QOS you can do about the same. How is your call pattern during any time of the day ? Is it strictly inbound/outbound from/to PSTN or is it inter office calls. If its inter office calls and since you mentioned about SRST, with 15 users probably using Voice and also data off a server at HQ, you definitely are looking at 15 * 20 - 300 kbps of g729 calls + how much every bandwidth is required for 15 users to access the data off the server at HQ (This is worst case). On top of all this you also have control traffic for voip (which should be fine with 16 - 64k of bandwidth).

Ultimately, the performance that you may experience with both Voice and data running over this pipe, depends on how big a file is being downloaded off the server and also how many interoffice calls will be present on the wan link at any given time.

PS: Please remember to rate helpful replies!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content