Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Is DMZ a solution for PPTP server behind NAT?

Quick Facts:

ISP Name: PCCW Hong Kong

ISP Service: FTTH

Modem: Huawei Echolife HG8045

Router: Huawei Echolife HG8045

PPTP Server: Linksys RV042

Config: ISP->Fiber->HG8045---->Internet TV Box

................................|------->RV042

................................|------->PC

................................|------->Homeplug AV2 bridge->802.11g AP

Hello! I am from Hong Kong (sorry for my English ). I signed up for the PCCW FTTH service earlier this month but I found out that the modem they provided is a Huawei HG8045 GPON terminal which is a modem router combo.

The problem is that my ISP wont provide admin access to HG8045's web administration interface, I can only tinker some minor settings e.g. port forward, DMZ, wifi ssid, wifi security..etc, using an "user" account which I obviously cant disable NAT and change that to a bridge nor enabling PPTP passthough.

The old Linksys RV042 comes handy to bypass internet block at workplace or public wifi AP with PPTP server VPN function but I it barely works behind NAT, I can never connect to the pptp server at work, I tried forwarding port 1723 but it doesnt help.

I googled a bit and found that pptp uses GRE encapsulation which is not bound to a port and my only last hope is to assign my RV042's IP to DMZ, though it sort of worked as I can establish a VPN connection, got a valid ip from the RV042 and the RV042 administration interface could be accessed, strange that I cant visit any other webpages through PPTP tunnel.

Before troubleshooting other possible problems i.e. DNS setting, I would like to know if DMZ is a viable solution to pptp server behind NAT? Does it solves the GRE problem?

Vincent

Views
Helpful
Replies