cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is ISR router necessary

samtiano2001
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering whether an ISR router is necessary for me to prepare for the CCNA . If so which one shall I get.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Sam,

ISR routers are very sophisticated and have a lot of features that may be useful for the CCNP and CCIE level.

If you are planning to follow these higher levels, then ISR routers will do a very good service for you.

For the CCNA level those higher level features are not necessary.

For CCNA it is enough to have a 25xx series router for example, which is EOL and you can buy a used one at a very low price.

If you have enough budget and you buy your router for longer term, then it may be better to buy an ISR.

As to myself, I would probably have some older routers as stub routers and some better and newer routers for hub routers. This way I would be able to construct complex networks at the lowest possible price.

Cheers:

Istvan

Thanks Istvan

Sam

While I agree with Istvan that many people have learned the CCNA material using 25xx routers, I will point out that the 25xx routers do not support configuration of trunking. So you would not be able to take a switch with multiple VLANs configured and connect it to a 25xx to get intervlan routing. Many people have passed the CCNA without being able to practice this aspect and it is possible that you can also. But if you think that VLANs and trunking is an important aspect of the CCNA that you want to practice then I suggest that you need something with more capability than a 25xx.

Wile I agree with Istvan that an ISR router might be desirable, especially if you anticipate studies beyond the CCNA, it is clear that the ISR is not required.

Good luck with your studies.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card