Views
Helpful
Replies

Is my Cisco 1811 router defective?

oren202020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just bought a used Cisco 1811. I have read the Cisco installation guide and connected one straight cable from my FE1 to my DSL model and another straight cable from Port number 2 of the switch to the LAN port of my computer. (I have also tried to connect it to my switch)

After the router boots, the sys OK led is in a solid green mode and the FE1 light is solid green as well. The problem is that the Ethernet port doesn't seem to work - Led number 2 doesn't turn on and the computer indicator shows the connection as inactive. I have also tried to connect port 2 to my linksys switch however the lights for the connected ports on the cisco router and linksys switch don't turn on.

I do not have the console cable hence I was planning on connecting to the router with the utility management that I got from Cisco's management.

Does anyone have an idea on what can be done to determine if the router is defective or if it's a configuration issue?

Regards,

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

All hardware interfaces are shut down by default when you start a new router, you'll have to get the console cable and do "no shut" for the interfaces and further configure the IPs as required.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies using the scroll box on the right,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

bjornarsb
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You realy should get a console cabel :)

The ethernet might be in shutdown.

Try connect the port you have trouble with to the dsl mdeom and see if it has link.

BR,

Bjornarsb

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

All hardware interfaces are shut down by default when you start a new router, you'll have to get the console cable and do "no shut" for the interfaces and further configure the IPs as required.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies using the scroll box on the right,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

oren202020
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, I have managed to enable the port using IOS.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card