Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

is sla monitor necessary

HI

we are ruuning bgp with hssrp we have also implemented sla monitor on active router. for isp  wan interface..

Is sla is necessary ?

4 REPLIES

is sla monitor necessary

Hi Prashant,

Your picture is not clear to me. However based on best pratices, I assume you would be having two WAN circuits.

Based on above scenario, you would be tracking ( with help of ip sla) your primary circuit. And if that primary goes down, then you track will go down and HSRP which is using your same track will shift traffic to your secondary link.

HTH,

Smitesh

Please rate helpful post...

is sla monitor necessary

on active router only one wan link is terminated.

BGP is configured with hsrp.

on standy router router there is also one wan link

bgp is configured with hssrp.

my outgoing traffic is going through active  router and incoming  is comming through standy router.

As sla is configured for wan link . if wan link on active fails than neighour ship with active router and

isp goes down  as bgp is configured and traffic will now be going out through by link on standy router .

so is thereneed of sla monitor ? as bgp is taking care?

is sla monitor necessary

Hello Prashant,

I have responded to you on your other post on configuration of BGP.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2153804

Thanks

Vivek

is sla monitor necessary

Hi Prashant,

As I mentioned earlier, track will be used to identify outage on your primary link on Active router. If it goes down, HSRP priority will be decremented and your Standby router will become Active router.

Yes, it is absolutely required...

HTH,

Smitesh

PS: Please rate helpful posts....

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content