Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Is split-dns right for me

I have Dr offices that have a layer 3 connection to my main internal network, but also have a connection to the internet via ISP connections I do not control. I have put routers between thier network, and mine. DNS has been an issue for the nodes in the Dr offices. Can spilt-dns be configured to forward queries to my internal DNS when the query is for one of my internal server, and also then forward the query out to their ISP DNS service for all other queries?

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Is split-dns right for me

Split DNS Names Split DNS lets an internal DNS server resolve a list of centrally-defined Local

Domain Names, while ISP-assigned DNS servers resolve all other DNS requests. It is used in

split-tunneling connections; the internal DNS server resolves the domain names for traffic through

the tunnel, and the ISP-assigned DNS servers resolve DNS requests that travel in the clear to the

Internet. Enter each domain name to be resolved by the internal server.

With split-dns you will resolve your local domain names using your local dns servers and all other

domain names using the dns servers provided by the ISP that your clients connect to. To configure split-dns on the concentrator go to Configuration > User Management > Groups. Click on the group in question and then click on the Client Config tab. Way at the bottom you will see a Split DNS Names box. In this box enter every domain name you want your local dns servers to resolve. Then under the General tap enter the ip addresses of your local DNS servers. The way this works is this; When you client needs to resolve a local dns name the request will be sent to the local dns servers configured on the client.

Views
Helpful
Replies