cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is the 2811 router fit for IMA on the WAN??

abatson
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings;

I was spec'ing a 2811 router to terminate an IMA ckt (Inverse Multiplexing for ATM) For this, you need the VWIC2-2MFT-T1 cards (Multi-flex trunk)

Question: If I wanted to bring 5 T1s into this router, I understand I need either 1 or 2 of the ATM co-processor cards. Also, with two ATM co-processors, can they handle 7.5Mbit of bandwidth on the IMA? I currently have three of the 2-port multi-flex trunk cards spec'd, but didn't know how many ATM co-processors I need, and whether a bundle exists with some number of flex-trunk cards & ATM cards already included...

Requirement:

I need 7.5Mbit of Internet bandwidth. My carrier will deliver this on 5 T1s. They don't yet know if they will do this via IMA, or regular T1s (HDLC or PPP). Question: Will the VWIC2-2MFT-T1 cards also terminate a regular T1 (HDLC, PPP), as well as an IMA T1? I want to avoid making a very expensive mistake!

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, you can place up to four links into an IMA bundle, and each AIM-IMA will support one bundle only. If they never mentioned ATM, the ISP will deliver multiple T1 over hdlc or ppp, as it's cheaper and more efficient. Just ask explicitly.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card