cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there any WAN fiber module for router 2800?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, I know 2800 routers are designed to handle less than 20Mbps WAN links.

Someone told there is a fiber module (in which I could connect fiber directly to the 2800 router module). I can't find such module so far.

Anyone can confirm whether there is such fiber module/connector for 2800?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

what are looking for?

a GE with fiber optic to be used as WAN port.

Or you are looking for a real WAN port that is fiber based:

the second means:

ATM or POS STM-1 155 Mbps as a minimum and it is not supported on this class of devices

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/ps5882/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html

you can have up to serial E3/T3 or ATM E3/T3 but these are based on BNC.

To be noted that WAN provider can usually deploy some external device to carry an E3 or T3 over fiber.

if you look for a GE fiber based module some etherswitch module supports it, but they are too expensive and in this case I would look for an external media converter

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which exact router? There are 4 models in the 2800 series. And, everything is explained in the data sheet.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

what are looking for?

a GE with fiber optic to be used as WAN port.

Or you are looking for a real WAN port that is fiber based:

the second means:

ATM or POS STM-1 155 Mbps as a minimum and it is not supported on this class of devices

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/ps5882/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html

you can have up to serial E3/T3 or ATM E3/T3 but these are based on BNC.

To be noted that WAN provider can usually deploy some external device to carry an E3 or T3 over fiber.

if you look for a GE fiber based module some etherswitch module supports it, but they are too expensive and in this case I would look for an external media converter

Hope to help

Giuseppe

In this case it would be a GE with fiber optic adapter to be used a WAN port.

In this case it would be a 2845. Thanks for the explanation.

A 2845?

No such model exists.

Yes there is! It's a mutant between a 3745 and a 2800. No Data Sheet included.

He he he ...

If you want to run fiber based WAN, i.e. OC3 etc. you should use the 3800 series like the 3825 or 3845. They can be had for a decent price for used. 2800's are branch routers and Cisco doesn't expect branches run anything over IMA bundles.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card