Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ISDN Dialer Watch

Hi Pros,

I want to do a Dialer Watch Configuration. What I assume is that Dialer Watch Dialer Interface will dial when routes mentioned in Dialer List go missing from Routing Table.

Now, what I am confused about is that a Dialer Group can & has to be configured (Interesting Traffic).

If Dialer Watch is going to call if route goes missing why do we need Dialer Group config for interesting traffic.

Secondly, I have noted if I configure Dialer Interface with Watch & without dialer-group 1 command the Dialer disconnects after 120 secs (Idle timeout) even though route is still missing from routing table.

Anybody can explain why the Dialer Interface needs Dialer-group config alongwith Dialer Watch ?

Regards,

Pratik

5 REPLIES
Silver

Re: ISDN Dialer Watch

Hi Pratik ,

The below link gives a detailed explanation of dialer-watch with dialer-group.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800dc81c.html

The Dialer Watch feature enables the router to monitor the existence of a specified route. If that route is not present, the backup interface is activated. Unlike other backup methods, the Dialer Watch feature does not require interesting traffic to activate the backup interface.

Dialer-group is used to apply interesting traffic defined in dialer-list.

You need to specify dialer-group command while configuring the dialer interface for interesting traffic.

What I meant to say is that if Dialer Watch dials remote peer in case of loss of routes & only disconnects when routes are restored (route check every idle timeout) then why do we need interesting traffic at all.

I noted following problems when I configured Dialer Watch.

1) WITH INTERESTING TRAFFIC: Dialer dials when routes are lost. Also, Dialer dials remote peer if EIGRP Hellos are sent. IF Eigrp is marked uninteresting then a ping to remote peer dialer interface brings up the interface (i.e Dialer dials).

2) WITHOUT INTERESTING TRAFFIC: Dialer dials remote peer when routes are lost & disconnects after 120 seconds (idle-timeout) even though routes have not been restored.

Any comments whether this is abnormal or normal behaviour ?

Hi pratik,

This is ashish.I think u r missing something.if u r configuring dialer watch then,u do not need dialer group for specifying interesting traffic.

Ashish,

This discussion is not about missing something. I am trying to figure out the exact behaviour of Dialer Watch.

Guys,

What was the outcome of this discussion.

Do you actually need interesting traffic (dialer-group) with the dialer watch?

And what are the charateristics, with/without it???????

Many thx,

Ken

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content