Views
Helpful
Replies

isdn point-to-point-setup command while bri int connected

mrbzumrbzu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the router that is currently configured for one dialer profile and it has the following commands on the bri interface.

interface BRI0
encapsulation ppp
ppp authentication chap
no ip address
dialer pool-member 1
isdn switch-type basic-net3

Currently i am manging/configuring this router over the iSDn using the same profile as this router is situated at far end.

For running multiple isdn profiles, i need a command 'isdn point-to-point-setup command on the bri interface. When i try to add the command on the bri interface, it gives me an error message indicating the i can't apply this command as i am currently using the bri interface.

Router (config-if)#isdn point-to-point-setup
Cannot execute command! Please retry when there are no active NLCBs

Is there any way, i could add this command while using the int bri over isdn?

is there any way, i could schedule the config commands to be implemented when i am not using the bri interface? I have tried teh Kron commands but this can only be used for exec commands not for config. I have tried the event manager commands as well but the router ios seems not accepting this as it doesn't have support?

Is there any way, i could configure multiple dialer interface without using isdn point-to-point-setup command on the bri interface? Any alternate method for this.

Any idea/clue or help will be highly appriciated.

Regards

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Reload the router and issue the command.

That by the way, is not even necessary.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mrbzu,

I don't think that command is needed in order for the BRI to be used by two different dialer interfaces see the following example taken from IOS 12.4 Dial configuration guide.

Both dialer interfaces can refer to the same pool so the required command is already present and it is:

dialer pool-member 1

The following example shows the configuration of a site that backs up two leased lines using one BRI. Two dialer interfaces are defined. Each serial (leased line) interface is configured to use one of the dialer interfaces as a backup. Both of the dialer interfaces use dialer pool 1, which has physical interface BRI 0 as a member. Thus, physical interface BRI 0 can back up two different serial interfaces and can make calls to two different sites.

interface dialer0
 ip unnumbered loopback0
 encapsulation ppp
 dialer remote-name Remote0
 dialer pool 1
 dialer string 5551212
 dialer-group 1

interface dialer1
 ip unnumbered loopback0
 encapsulation ppp
 dialer remote-name Remote1
 dialer pool 1
 dialer string 5551234
 dialer-group 1

interface bri 0
 encapsulation PPP
 dialer pool-member 1
 ppp authentication chap

interface serial 0
 ip unnumbered loopback0
 backup interface dialer 0
 backup delay 5 10

interface serial 1
 ip unnumbered loopback0
 backup interface dialer1
 backup delay 5 10

see
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/dial/configuration/guide/dia_backup_profiles_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

the other command that you would like to use is described here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/dial/command/reference/dia_i2.html#wp1014197

test a configuration similar to the one of the example

Hope to help
Giuseppe

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply.

That command is a must 'isdn point-point-setup'. without this command the router is failing the calls if we have multiple dialer profiles.

The example you have given me is the dial out but in my setup i am accepting the call in's. I have tested the same config on the test router, without isdn point-to-point-setup command, the router is not accepting the session. As soon as i implement the sdn point-point-setup', its working ok. My problem is that i could not implement the command remotely on the far end router as i am connected to the bri.

Here is a config i am implementing.

interface BRI0
encapsulation ppp

isdn switch-type basic-net3

''' isdn point-to-point-setup''''

ppp authentication chap pap

interface Dialer1
ppp authentication chap callin
ppp chap password *******

interface Dialer5
description Dialer interface for ********

ip address *********
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer remote-name **********

dialer idle-timeout 90
dialer-group 5
ppp chap hostname *********

ppp chap password **********
PPP Multilink
ppp multilink links maximum 1
ppp multilink interleave
!
interface Dialer6
description Dialer interface for ***********
ip address ****************
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer remote-name ****************
dialer idle-timeout 90
dialer-group 6
ppp chap hostname **********

ppp chap password **********

PPP Multilink
ppp multilink links maximum 1
ppp multilink interleave

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mrbzu,

now I understand better.

I would suggest to have someone to access the router with console cable and to put the command for you under your instructions on the phone.

prepare a username/pwd to be used on the console that you will remove later.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That command is a must 'isdn point-point-setup'. without this commandthe router is failing the calls if we have multiple dialer profiles.

Incorrect, as indicated above this command has no influence whatsoever on operation of dialer profiles, even if some documentation says otherwise.

To the original poster: you have a difficult situation if you believe that the command is required and if the command can not be entered while the BRI is active, and if the BRI is the only way for you to access the router. I will suggest a method that will allow you to get the command into the router config:

- get a current, complete, and correct copy of the remote router config on the hard drive of your computer.

- use a text editor to edit the remote router config.

- add the command that you need in the correct place.

- save the modified config file.

- use TFTP to copy the modified config file and copy it to startup-config on the remote router.

- reload the remote router.

Note that there is no syntax checking when TFTP copies the file to startup-config and the only syntax checking is done when startup-config is loaded into running-config at boot time. This is why I stress to begin with a current, complete, and correct copy of the remote router config. If you copy a config with any incorrect or missing statements it could impact the router at boot time. But if you start with a correct copy of the config, make your change carefully and correctly, and save the modified config file then this process will successfully put your config statement into the running config of the remote router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card