Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP failover

o.oresotu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two different links from different ISPs, each is terminated on different cisco 2600 routers and used for different services (one for webservices and the other for just internet browsing). However, I want to configure the routers in such a way that the webservices link would failover to the internet browsing router whenever the link is down.

How can I go about this?.

7 Replies 7

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

BGP is the best way to go about this.

Hi,

My network is for a private organisation and I cannot be allowed to exchange BGP routes with my service providers.

Is there any other alternative and can i get urls of materials for this?.

minumathur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

You can use HSRP in your router, and also use higher admin distance static route, this will solve your problem,

if you are not sure , you can send me network diagram along with ip address, i will send you configuration file back.

-Minu

find attached the diagram and IP Addresses.

Regards

HSRP will not work. What happens if there is a routing problem in the ISP? Again look at BGP, it does not matter that you are a private organization.

Can you help with the BGP configurations or url materials?.

BGP is not for the timid. I would suggest hiring a consultant. To feed your brain, search BGP on Cisco.com or Google.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card