cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4321 USB Removed in Latest Code

tripley
Level 1
Level 1

I've been using the 3.16 line of code on our ISR's and used the USB port to upgrade code by plugging in a thumb drive.

I've recently tried the new 16.3 and 16.6 versions of IOS and found I can't use a thumb drive anymore.  I don't remember reading this in the release notes.  

Does anyone know if Cisco removed the ability to mount a USB drive in the newer versions of code?

Here's the output of 16.6.2.  No usb0:

Router#dir ?
  /all             List all files
  /recursive       List files recursively
  all-filesystems  List files on all filesystems
  bootflash:       Directory or file name
  cns:             Directory or file name
  flash:           Directory or file name
  null:            Directory or file name
  nvram:           Directory or file name
  system:          Directory or file name
  tar:             Directory or file name
  tmpsys:          Directory or file name
  webui:           Directory or file name
  |                Output modifiers
  <cr>

Router#

Tyler

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
USB is still there. When the USB is inserted, post the complete output to the command "sh log".
What is the brand and size of the USB used?

You're right.  It see's the USB but I can't access it.

*Feb 21 07:27:13.503 MST: %IOSXE-5-PLATFORM:  SIP0: kernel: scsi 8:0:0:0: Direct-Access     USBDev   Pendrive         1.0  PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
*Feb 21 07:27:13.504 MST: %IOSXE-5-PLATFORM:  SIP0: kernel: sd 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
*Feb 21 07:27:15.005 MST: %IOSXE-5-PLATFORM:  SIP0: kernel: sd 8:0:0:0: [sda] 15996919 512-byte logical blocks: (8.19 GB/7.63 GiB)
*Feb 21 07:27:15.006 MST: %IOSXE-3-PLATFORM:  SIP0: kernel: sd 8:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
*Feb 21 07:27:15.020 MST: %IOSXE-5-PLATFORM:  SIP0: kernel: sd 8:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk

Router#dir usb0:
                 ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router#

It's a Dell 8GB USB stick.  If I do a "dir /all" it only shows me bootflash:.  No other drives.

I should also mention, if I boot into 3.16, the same router and USB stick work just fine.  Boot back into 16.6.2 and I can't see the USB anymore.

Tyler

Samsung Bar 16 GbSamsung Bar 16 Gb

Look for one of these:  Samsung Bar 16 Gb.

I don't have one of those.

Is there a list of "Cisco Approved" USB sticks?  Why should that matter?  This USB stick worked before the code upgrade.

@tripley wrote:

Is there a list of "Cisco Approved" USB sticks? 

Yes there is.  N77-USB-2GB

HAHAHAHA!  $1200 for a 2GB USB stick!?!?

@tripley wrote:

HAHAHAHA!  $1200 for a 2GB USB stick!?!?

Correct.  The product are made by monks who's never uttered a single word for the last 6 years, hence the cost.

I just had the same problem. The solution is to get a slightly better quality stick.

The $5 16GB plastic stick was a no go on the latest software but a thin metal $20-ish Kinston 32GB USB3 worked just fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco