cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Keep VLAN Tags between 1921's over T1?

ADynes
Level 1
Level 1

I must be doing something wrong.  I am looking to transfer 3 VLANS (10, 20, and 30) over a T1 point to point using Cisco 1921 routers.  I do not want to "Bridge" the connection, one location has a 10.1.0.0/16 subnet and the other location has a 10.2.0.0/16 subnet because we don't want to saturate the already slow link.  I tried the instructions here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094663.shtml  but it didn't seem to work.

With these routers couldn't I create the three VLAN's then tell the GigabitEthernet0/0 interface it's a trunk port?  Or do I setup sub interfaces (.10, .20, and .30) for each vlan?  I've tried all of the above and I can't get it to work.  I can directly plug into the router and ping the other router on the other side of the T1 but I can get the info comming from my Dell PowerConnect 6248 (plugged into a trunk port) to go through to the router which is why I think it's a vlan issue.

-Allan

17 Replies 17

Yes but if you still can't ping something, ain't done yet.

I'm sorry....can you expand on that?  Right now I can ping what I believe is everything I need to:

From the router console to all three VLAN IP's on the Dell switch

From the dell switch console to all three sub interfaces on the router

From a computer plugged into one of the VLAN ports on the switch I can ping all three sub interfaces on the rouer (again routing is enabled on the switch)

My tracert from the PC (10.2.10.240) to the router shows this:

complete

So it seems the swtich is routing my request to the other vlan then to the router which responds.  Am I missing something? 

My misunderstanding then.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card