cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 Broadcast through Routers

jekood001
Level 1
Level 1

I have a SUN server that uses a remote SIT server to get OS images from. The SUN server resides on a LAN, the SIT server resides on another LAN. There are two routers between the two LAN. The SUN server sends out a L2 broadcast to get it's IP address, however I'm not sure how allow the L2 broadcast through the two routers. Can anyone help? Again this is a L2 broadcast vice a L3 broadcast. I know for the layer 3 I could used the IP HELPER command.

-thxs

jekood001

5 Replies 5

arun kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Integrated Routing and Bridging (IRB) meet your requirement.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094663.shtml

HTH...

thanks

Arun

Pls rate if it helps

Arun

With 2 routers between I do not believe that IRB would be an effective solution. That would mean that both LANs and everything between would be in a single broadcast domain and in a single subnet. I think it is likely that it would impact devices other than the Sun and the server.

jekood001

Have you tried using ip helper-address? Do know what kind of packet is in the broadcast? (is it some variation on bootp ?)  I am not positive but I think that it might work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Here's a useful link for this purpose :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/ios/11_3/np1/configuration/guide/1cipadr.html#wp2215

It explains how you can make directed broadcast in to physical broadcast and also explains uses of ip helper address , ip directed-broadcast etc.

hope it helps

Manish

Hi Rick,

Agreed and thanks for pointing it out. I didn't think about the performance of the devices. Even in our network we faced device performance issues due to IRB with routers in STP and it didnt stirke me when i posted.

How about extending LAN between routers using L2TPv3? Will this meet the requirement other than ip-helper command.

thanks

Arun

Arun

L2TPv3 is an interesting suggestion. If jekood001 can get it to work with ip helper-address that would be simpler and better. But if helper-address does not work for him then L2TPv3 would be a feature that he should look at.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card