Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 routing

richard.gosling
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have 4 Layer2 ethernets in Vlan1 and DHCP.

Vlan 2 & 100 are wireless.

I have a device the a static IP on one of the ethernets.

Can I route from the VLAN2 & 100 to the L2 ethernet in vlan1

Vlan 2 and 100 will not route to device on the ethernet

anyone got any ideas

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure you can, use a router or even better a l3 switch.

this is on a wireless router !!

izackvail
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Richard, whether wired or wireless routing between vlans requires a layer 3 device. When you say "ethernet" do you mean a switch port? Your use of the term ethernet is a little confusing.

I have a cisco 857 router the 4 fast ethernet ports that are layer 2

I have 2 vlans on the wireless

I have a device on hanging of one of the ethernets that has a static ip and default route pointing back to the router.

I cannot get to this device from the wireless lans, vlan1 is assingned to all 4 fa ports

So you cannot assign a IP to just one of the ports, if you could you could just create static.

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, Vlans are supported on cisco AP and wireless bridges, they are not supported on WGB3xx series AP. You should be able to setup a trunk link from the AP/Bridge to your L2 switch, the trunk will carry vlan traffic across as long as all the traffic is in the same subnet. If you are using multible subnet as the first post suggested you are going to need to use L3 to route the traffic between the subnet for the different vlans.

The thing to remember is that L2 interfaces will drop the vlan header if the destination is not on the same subnet, to pass the packet with the vlan header you will need the router or a switch doing IP routing. Check out the two document below for more info on wireless vlan config's. HTH

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/bridge/350/configuration/guide/br350ch4.html#wp1035975

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps441/products_qanda_item09186a0080094d01.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: