Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

L3 capabilities of 3560e-12D

I am looking at setting up a new WAN connection for a client. This would involve redundant 2gb (could scale to 10GE) IpVPN connections using BGP for failover. I am assuming the the ISP will offer a 10GE links for the connection.

In order to save costs, I would like to stay away from the big iron (6500 etc...). Does anybody know how a 3560e-12D would scale in this situation? Would it be able to provide L3 routing and a small BGP table?

The network would look like this:

2 x 3650e-12D switches with a 10GE trunk between them. Each switch would be uplinked to an ISP router (10GE) and running BGP. Each switch would also be plugged into an ASA5580-40 (running A/S failover).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Blue

Re: L3 capabilities of 3560e-12D

Will those switches be accepting full Internet routing tables? Or is this a MP-BGP deployment over an MPLS cloud, in which the only BGP routes being learned would be the ones advertised by the remote site?

[EDIT] Just re-read and noticed that you said "small BGP table." Sorry. and yes, the 3560 does support layer 3 switching in its "IP Services" and "Advanced IP Services" feature sets.

It also has a relatively robust forwarding rate of 90 Mpps and the capability of having twelve 10-GBps connections, with an oversubscription rate of 2:1.

Given all this, but without specific experience using this set up, I would say that you should be OK. [EDIT]

3 REPLIES
Blue

Will those switches be accepting full Internet routing tables? Or is this a MP-BGP deployment over an MPLS cloud, in which the only BGP routes being learned would be the ones advertised by the remote site?

[EDIT] Just re-read and noticed that you said "small BGP table." Sorry. and yes, the 3560 does support layer 3 switching in its "IP Services" and "Advanced IP Services" feature sets.

It also has a relatively robust forwarding rate of 90 Mpps and the capability of having twelve 10-GBps connections, with an oversubscription rate of 2:1.

Given all this, but without specific experience using this set up, I would say that you should be OK. [EDIT]

Thanks for your answer. I assumed that it would work okay but just wanted a second opinon. Traffic levels will most likely be low for a while so we can monitor the system resources and upgrade if needed.

To clarify the "small BGP table", the ISP would most likely be sending us only a default route. If not, the IPVPN is for a small private network with only a few routes.

Blue

Good luck and thanks for the rating.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content