Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN not accessible over MPLS

AmirHamidi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have two sites connected with a Layer 3 MPLS VPN connection from my ISP. At site A I have a 878 router and site B has a 1841 router.

I can ping and access all the resources at site B with no problem. the problem is, besides that I'm not a cisco professional, I can only access 878's management vlan port and no other resource is accessible. the setup is very simple and everything should be accessible from both sites and since its a mpls vpn I'd rather not using vpn or acl's due to unnecessary delay and resource usage. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll attach the running configs for both devices.

thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Amir,

Do the ISP know how to get to your networks. It seems as though you just have default route pointing at the MPLS VPN but how do they know where to route that traffic?

Normally a routing protocol would be used between you and ISP for you to advertise your internal networks to the mpls vpn. This needs to be in agreement between yourselves and the provider on how to exchange routing information to get from site A to site B vice versa.

hth

Bilal 

CCIE #45032

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

thanks for taking the time Bilal,

yes the ISP knows since they assigned the LAN IP addresses for me and I could ping and telnet to site A's vlan1 ip address so as the problem was a little weird I did a reset factory on 878 and reconfigured it and now I'm able to see all the systems attached to fe0 to 3 ports. at least I can ping them;).

I have to further test the environment to see if any problems still exist.

A side question though is that if the router works fine I'm going to connect it to a 3750G-48ts switch to make the servers reachable from site B, is there any best practice or any points that I should take into account?

regards.

Tagir Temirgaliyev
Spotlight
Spotlight

most simple way is to do GRE tunnel

Thanks Tagir,

but I do not see the point since both ends use the same protocol and both ends are supposed to see each other directly.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card