Helpful
Replies

Latency question

tonyp8581
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i need an expert opinion.

Where I work, we have a private MPLS network that connects over 25 remote sites to our IT center (Server Farm). We have a 100 Mb link between the IT center and the cloud . All other sites (Montreal and Quebec area) vary in speed.

The ISP that handles our MPLS network just install a new remote site situated in Toronto at 100 Mb. To confirm that were getting the promised throughput, I use a tool called Iperf. Simply, it's a Client-Server DOS application that sends packets and measure the throughput of the network.

Iperf is telling me the throughput between Toronto and IT center is around 30 Mb.

According to me, i should be hitting the 70 Mb mark. Speaking with my ISP, their telling me it's because of the distance (latency) that i'm getting this result (they can't do anything about it). I'm having a hard time believing this explanation. All my other sites including quebec city (running at 5 Mb) respect the speed that were paying for… the problem is with the Toronto site.

Starting from the IT center, tracing to Toronto, i go through 5 hops and quebec city I go through 4 hops. Can one more hope make that much of a difference ?

Pinging Toronto, I get a average of 23 ms. Pinging quebec city, I get a average of 17 ms.

I agree that the packet has to travel a longer distance, but I wasn't expecting that much of a low throughput.

Any opinions is greatly appreciated.

29 Replies 29

So far, the users are not complaining. On day one, they started with this link, so i don't have a chart to compare it with...

I used iperf on other sites and all my results are satisfactory. so i'm pretty sure it's not iperf.

Maria, your personal opinion,

Is it common practice that a ISP would in fact reduce their throughput without advising their customer??

Tony

Can I jump in again.

By no means I was implying that your SP is limiting you traffic. What is the minimum committed bandwidth that you have purchased ? Let's call that X.

If you can repeatedly measure UDP throughput equal or above X, your SP is delivering what you've paid for. TCP performances as Maria suggested is actually more testing the PC's and their tcp stack tuning, rather the the circuit. Also note that some stacks behave differently in TCP when they see the target on a different subnet, that may not be you case as you is a L2 service from what I understand.

Insinuating that an SPs handles TCP traffic differently than UDP, that's a bit too much and again, I only said it can be done, not that it is being done.

Paolo,

If i look at the bandwidth of UDP, the SP is delivering what i paid for. But you have to agree that most of the application that we use today are using TCP.

anyway, thx for all your help including Maria. I appreciate all of your input.

I'll be doing some more reading on this matter. If i find anything new i'll post it.

bye

Hi,

Last mile local loop (both ends) I believe the pipe size is guaranteed as to what you may have subscribed. But inside MPLS network, with multiple classes of services over a common shared infrastructure each with particular performance and bandwidth characteristics, you may not have subscribed to the highest classes of service that guarantees bandwidth end-to-end.

Regards,

Dandy

Ok, Paolo said one thing I thought at some point but perhaps did not stress enough (so gets my 5 points, always a pleasure to see you around :-). You do get your bandwidth. UDP demonstrates that enough.

And since I bother posting, one more thing to add: SP's are pretty careful with the TCP traffic. This is usually legitimate traffic they try not to touch even in a DDoS situation. UDP is more often the victim of strict policies. UDP is more "hostile" traffic, doesn't know when and where to stop (often times does it on purpose). TCP on the other hand is usually a fair game player. You drop a few of its packets and it cooperates.

p.s. And now that I said "drops", make sure your LAN functions perfectly. A few errors every now and then can make your TCP sessions crawl. UDP on the other hand simply does not care.

p.s.2 To answer the question about throughput reduction:

If you mean bandwidth reduction (downgrade), I have never seen such thing. I was lucky enough to only see upgrades. In Greece DSL came somewhat late and the upgrades were massive. One year you had some international lousy satelitte, the next a 155Mbps, then another and now crazy gigabit rates. Every ISP or area is different and sure each business gets different pressure. Sure thing ISP doesn't have to let you know about everything they do inside. But then, think that your interests are not that much conflicting. Satisfied customers is a good thing for the SP and for the customer :-)

One last thing (until I say something else :-): You might get your bandwidth in the near future when you will actually need it for legitimate traffic instead of some sudden urge to test the connection. As I said previously, an ISP carefully monitors the trends in traffic. Upgrages happen when statistics indicate increasing trends that will fail to be satisfied.

Maria,

i agree completely.

It still frustating that i lose so much bandwidth compared to the links with Quebec city.

anyway thx again for your insight.

Tony

Somewhat implied that your SP is not giving you now what you have paid for. I was talking in general. It is a bit unrealistic for an SP to intentionally let your UDP reach so high rates and deny the same "favor" for your TCP traffic if bandwidth is an issue for them. So, try to be patient. Monitor the situation for some time. A small issue with errors in a circuit could cause your TCP to crawl, while your UDP passes. There does exist bandwidth for you there.

Talking in general again: The customer support might play it a bit cool with you, but all issues are considered. When you hang up, complaints are propagated and reach the poor guys. I remember so many times breaking my head because some dial-up customer could not see site www..com, while this was possible with another ISP :-)

i do intend to follow this carefully. if i have new information, i will post it.

thx

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You might be bumping up against TCP's BDP (bandwidth delay product) speed limitation.

For TCP to push 100 Mbps across 23 ms requires a receive window of 287,500 bytes. If you're receive window is smaller, you'll shouldn't get better than the fraction smaller. E.g. a 64 KB window (maximum if window scaling not active or supported), would allow only about 22 Mbps for 23 ms.

Hi Joseph,

great information, didn't know you could increase the windows size more than 64KB by enabling windows scaling.

i'm definitely going to look into it.

thx for passing that on, i'm sure other people

will benefit from it.

you've been great help!! thumbs up!!

Tony

Some of the older TCP stacks don't support TCP windows scaling, RFC1323. Those that do, you're often still stuck with the pain of manual configuration.

For a quick test, try using a Windows Vista host as a recipient; out-of-the-box it will try to use a huge receive window.

PS:

Having correctly sized TCP receive windows is often one technique used by WAN acceleration products. Interestingly, even Cisco documents how to configure it for some of their products.

From http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v4013/configuration/guide/policy.html#wp1042933

Calculating the TCP Buffers for High BDP Links

Cisco WAAS can be deployed in different network environments, involving multiple link characteristics such as bandwidth, latency, and packet loss. All WAAS devices are configured to accommodate networks with maximum Bandwidth-Delay-Product (BDP) of up to the values listed below:

•WAE-511/512-Default BDP is 32 KB

•WAE-611/612-Default BDP is 512 KB

•WAE-7326 -Default BDP is 2048 KB

If your network provides higher bandwidth or higher latencies are involved, use the following formula to calculate the actual link BDP:

BDP [Kbytes] = (link BW [Kbytes/sec] * Round-trip latency [Sec])

When multiple links 1..N are the links for which the WAE is optimizing traffic, the maximum BDP should be calculated as follows:

MaxBDP = Max (BDP(link 1),..,BDP(link N))

If the calculated MaxBDP is greater than the DefaultBDP for your WAE model, the Acceleration TCP settings should be modified to accommodate that calculated BDP.

Once you calculate the size of the Max BDP, enter that value in the Send Buffer Size and Receive Buffer Size for the optimized and original side on the Acceleration TCP Settings window.

Joseph,

thx again for taking the time.

After reading on Window scaling, i have one question:

To accommodate huge window sizing, do i need to modify any router configuration or is modifying workstation settings on both ends enough?

thx

As to modifications to routers, from host to host, i.e. where the traffic transits the router, you need to insure the queue size on the outbound interface will also support the BDP. Otherwise the router might drop packets before the flow fully ramps up.

E.g. a 256 KB BDP would require a queue to support about 171 packets (@ 1500 each). (NB: a single FIFO queue of this many packets will likely make for highly variable latency.)

As to end hosts, only the receiving host normally needs to be adjusted.

PS:

Since routers can be a receiving host (e.g. doing over the WAN flash upgrades using FTP or RCP), adjusting the router's receive window to its max (64 KB?) and enabling SACK, can help a bit, although physical flash write time seems more of the copy performance limiter.

thx for the info Joseph, you have been a great help.

Tony

Your welcome. If you do set a host on the far side with a larger receive window, let us know the results.

PS:

From my prior post, might not have been clear, if you tune a router for BDP, the resource allocation is for all TCP flows across the link. I.e. you don't allocate per host.

If the router doesn't provide sufficient BDP buffer space, this doesn't mean multiple flows are unable to drive the link to 100%, just means one TCP flow, alone, won't be able to.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card