cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 switch for bandwidth throttling.

tyson0317
Level 1
Level 1

I have a device on my network that on rare occation slams out Internet connection. QoS is not an option, so I am looking at a layer 3 switch that can do port-based bandwith throttling. The problem is that all of the L3 switches that I am looking at are big, most have PoE and cost $$$. Honestly, if there were a 4-port L3 switch, that would be perfect! However, since I cannot find anything like this, I have found the Cisco SG300-10SFP and I just want to make sure that that it will do what I need it to do.

Port 1 Unrestricted

Port 2 Restricted to 5Mb send, 20Mb Recived (can I do that, or do the speeds need to match?)

Port 3 etc.

Suggestions on a cheaper switch appreciated, but mainly looking to make sure that the SG300 will allow me to set physical port speeds like that.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I'm unfamiliar with the capabilities of the small business line devices.

The discontinued 8 port 3560 might have done what you need, and the only reason I mention it, the current 3560-C might have similar features.

[RANT] This is my problem - I cannot seem to find any concrete information about what the various models and sub-models actually do! The Cisco site is full garbage like, "To stay ahead in a competitive marketplace, small businesses need to make every dollar count." Why do they even waste money to have people write the filler crap? Who actually sits there, reads the paragraphs of junk and says, "OK, Cisco says that this switch will make us more competitive - here is a check for $50,000 to get these for our whole network!" What is lacking is any concise technical info... [/RANT]

Is there any place online where I can at least see detailed screenshots of the configuration options? Is there anyone at Cisco that I can call for pre-sales support? Short of just buying one blindly, how do I know what functions the device performs??

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card