Views
Helpful
Replies

Leased line and routing problem

abhyankar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am facing a complicated problem releted to leased line.

Problem : 2 MBPS leased line from ISP to our end ( leased line : copper wiring not optical fibre ) not giving speed at all.

Problem Description : We have 2 MBPS line from ISP. We are a software comapny.

We have Cisco 1841 router which has Serial WIC1-T card and v.35 cable which terminates to "Loop" terminal. Nating is there.

Detailed problem : From the date line was up, still we dont get download/upload speed more than 24 kilobytes per second. It is really pathetic. We also have another 2 MBPS line from another ISP. On the other line we have 130 users all using internet and in this enviornment we still get atleast 123 kilo bytes per second on indivisual machine for download/uploading. On the another line no damn speed. We have same router at other side..Just ISP is different. We done lot of benchmarking & analysis with co ordination with ISP. We used "PingPlotter" to find hopes and latency etc. Its between 300~450 which is poor. From our router to ISP's router link is good i.e. hop takes very less count. Where is the problem? From our router line terminates to the router at ISP's end and from there it goes to "dish antena" which receives signal from satellite. Our line is not shared. The line we bought is 1:1 means 2 MBPS upload/ 2 MBPS download. But speed is not good at all. admins from Canda can not access machines over here in my country ( i.e. India ) faster than we thought. It's been since last 30 days. Problem remains same. ISP changed provider. From Reliance they shifted our line to "VSNL". But problem is still the same. Any CCIE's over there or experts can give any solution?

Thank you,

Amey Abhyankar.

6 Replies 6

network.king
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Pls clarify the points .

1.Is that when you are doing multiple downloads from the a machine , is that you are able to get ur bandwidth ( around 1.8M )

2.How is the download speed during the late night and early morning hours ( After 1 till morning 8 ) to just make clear the ISP's peering bandwidth is not choked.

3.How is ur router's CPU utilisation

4.Is there any Wrong rate-limit applied for u ( If in case you are not able to get the full BW )

regards

vanesh k

you say you have two leased lines with same router. your configs are the same asides the isp info?

1.Swap the routers and copy config from router you have just taken offline

>if you get a favoravle result you can trouble shoot just the router you have just taken offline. if not proceed to 2

2.have you tried swapping routers and just changing the necessary lines for isp info. (ie keep config from working router as much as possible)

>if you get a favorable result you can trouble shoot just the router you have just taken offline.

If no favaorable results you can pretty much guess its downstream from the router=)

you say you have two leased lines with same router. your configs are the same asides the isp info?

I think you did not read my message completely. We have 2 Cisco routers of 1841. Both routers have separate two mbps leased line. Just the thing is that both router are for different operations and ISP's are also different for both router's. The router which is in our existing environment has "Bharati" leased line of 2 MBPS. Another router which is 1841 has leased line from another ISP. And this perticular line is slow as equal to dead.

Browsing speed is fast. But downloading speed is 15 kbps. Even if we download something from Microsoft, no speed. That router is connected with "Extreme 9i" series gigabyte switch. I think it wont be a problem. What you people say? Router has 100 MBPS fa 0/0 poer and from there we given uplink to switch which is giabyte. Would that be a problem? I dont think

so. Just the thing is speed is slow and slow.

We did tracert of many web sites. It always timed out after6~7 hopes.

osted by: network.king - Dec 4, 2006, 1:39am PSTNew Message!

Hi

Pls clarify the points .

1.Is that when you are doing multiple downloads from the a machine , is that you are able to get ur bandwidth ( around 1.8M )

2.How is the download speed during the late night and early morning hours ( After 1 till morning 8 ) to just make clear the ISP's peering bandwidth is not choked.

3.How is ur router's CPU utilisation

4.Is there any Wrong rate-limit applied for u ( If in case you are not able to get the full BW )

regards

vanesh k

Clarification : Our bandwidth is 2048 kbps i.e. = 2 MBPS. We have 8 i Mac machines powered by Qudra 64 bit processor and having gig ethernet. I open http://www.microsoft.com > go to downloads and start downloading small 80 MB file, when it starts downloading file it shows speed 80 kBps and then qithin an minute it settles down to 15 KBps. I am not saying when we start multiple downloads speed is slow. Any single download from any http site or ftp site, speed settle's down at 15 KBps.

At night badnwidth is sometimes good. Last week i left 4 GB linux iso downloading. Speed was 100 KBps onwards but it was fluctuating.

But that download i started with 3rd party downloading sofwtare i.e. "Download Accelerator Plus" via Windows based machine not Macintosh machine.

Router's CPU utilisation : I did not check it. I installed SDM manager but did not check that thing. I doubt if due to attacks from outer world bandwidth is getting chocked up?

Because there no firewall in between or proxy server or etc etc . Just NAting is done.

I am sure but in "mrtg" graph it shows bandwidth graph of "2048 KBps" which is 2 MBPS exactly. On our another line we never had such problem. ISP done a little R & D last week. They configured there own 1720 Cisco router which had WIC2-T card and smart serial cable. We started downloading some files via laptop connected to that 1720 router. Speed was littlebit increased = 25 kbps but again its nothing. We are expecting a lot more speed. Is we change private IP range which is currently 192.168.x.x problem will solved? Is it problem of NATing? The person who configured NAT via telnet from foreign country added some entries which contains ACL and numbers 47000 << I really dont remmeber about this number..It's not Extended ACL...IPX acl for mac machines ?

Regards,

Amey Abhyankar.

Hi

Thanx for your detailed mail . I again want you to clarify me wheter multiple downlaods on a single machine totals the download speed to 100Kbytes ( each download using 20Kbytes in case of 5 simultaneous downloads ) or multiple downloads from a single machine totals the downlaod speed to 25Kbytes

Just login to ur router and give " show proc cpu sorted " and see how is the utilisation as you are using PAT , it might spike ur router's cpu and have issues .

In case if your download speed is good in the night , then its sure of problem with you peering ISP's Internet bandwidth.

regards

vanesh k

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Amey

do revert back about the ISPs from where you have availed the services and also the last mile details..

Also throw some lite about the different versions of services availed from SPs even in 1:1 or shared itself you have different flavors available ..

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card