cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Licensing for IOS 15.x on 2851 routers

derekdinehart
Level 1
Level 1

Do I need to obtain license keys/files when upgrading a 2851 to IOS 15.x?  I'm getting a bit confused seeing the documentation that says 1) IOS has gone to a universal image and 2) that feature sets are unlocked based on the installed license.

I was able to download a feature specific IOS image for the 2851 and it did not bother me about licensing upon boot up.

I read one post on here that stated 2800/3800 series (G1) do not have to worry about the licensing piece and that it's just 2900/3900 series (G2) hardware that require it.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ISR G1 routers do not use an unversal images. Things remained the way they were before, with the addition that the product is end of sale now

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ISR G1 routers do not use an unversal images. Things remained the way they were before, with the addition that the product is end of sale now

Excellent.  It's just a matter of upgrading the RAM and CompactFlash to run 15.x (which we are doing).  Thanks!

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

hello Paolo

I've a planned migration from IOS 12 to 15 on ISR G1 , my customer worry about licensing issues, is there a Cisco document specifying that ISR G1 doesn't use Universal Image and licenses to activates features ?

thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card