cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limiting bandwidth on Cisco router (possible 1800 series)

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Hi experts,

I'm just seeking some ideas in my setup scenario.

I will have this one router. Its f0/0 will be for the Internet connection with bandwidth of 30Mbps. Its f0/1 will be connected to a switch for internal networks. This link will be separated to 3 VLANs for 3 internal networks. I'm wondering if there is a way to gurantee 10Mbps for each VLAN but allow use up to 30Mbps when another two VLANs are not using any Internet bandwidth? I only worry about download bandwidth from internet.

The 3 internal networks will all have public IPs and they belong to their own subnets. There won't be NAT/PAT.

A sample config is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Difan

23 Replies 23

Hi,

In the above configuration Example does we need to add the bandwidth command on the interface. ie by default the interface f0/1 is 100 mb so do we need to give bandwidth 30720 command under F0/1.

Also if am not equally dividing the bandwidth will the above scenario work.

Thanks

Nibin 

No you don't have to put in the BW command. There is policing configured on the physical interface. That will limit the BW to 30mbps.

policy-map physical

class class-default

police 30000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

service-policy subnets

exit

Yes I think you just need to change the percentage values here

policy-map subnets

class-map subnet-a

bandwidth percent 33

class-map subnet-b

bandwidth percent 33

class-map subnet-c

bandwidth percent 33

exit

Thanks for the Quick ressponse.

I had applied done the configs according to above discussion but getting the following error while attaching the service policy to interface.

"Cannot attach queuing-based child policy to a non-queuing based class"

ROUTER(config)#interface gigabitEthernet 0/0

ROUTER(config-if)#service-policy output Physical

Cannot attach queuing-based child policy to a non-queuing based class

I am pasting my current configs also please advice whats need to be modified. I am having 32 mb line from ISP which needs to be distributed.

access-list 101 permit ip any 192.168.10.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 102 permit ip any 192.168.11.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 103 permit ip any 192.168.12.0 0.0.0.255

class-map match-all subnet-b

match access-group 102

class-map match-all subnet-c

match access-group 103

class-map match-all subnet-a

match access-group 101

!

!

policy-map subnets

class subnet-a

bandwidth 49

class subnet-b

bandwidth 25

class subnet-c

bandwidth 25

policy-map Physical

class class-default

police 320000000 conform-action transmit  exceed-action drop

service-policy subnets

Thanks

Nibin

Hi,

Did any one get the following error while trying to attach the policy to interface

Thanks

In my honest opinion Class Based Weighted Fair Queueing will just limit the bandwidth per queue in case of congestion, not by a regular basis.

regards

I have this errors too.

Can someone help with this??

Gents...

I'm trying to do the same thing with a 2621 router....and no luck.

I can not enter the "bandwidth percent 33" command.  Any thoughts on why?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What IOS version is running on your 2621?  "Percent", as an option in the CBWFQ bandwidth commands came out in later IOS versions (12.4?),

Dear Sir,

I've 10 M internet connection shared to a one VLAN. I want to limit the download per user. because some users consume the bandwidth by download while others can't browse the internet. could you find a solutions to limit the download to 128 K per user 

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco