cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Line protocol showing down

a.seetharaman
Level 1
Level 1

Even though the encpasulation at both peers are same ( ppp ), line protocol is showing down. What can be the problem

8 Replies 8

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

if there is a provider in between, you could have a clocking issue. Do a 'show controller', that should tell you if there are remote or local alerts. if possible, can you post the output of the running configuration showing both your serial interfaces ?

Regards,

GNT

Seetharaman

On a serial interface line protocol down indicates that keepalives are not successful. There are several things that can cause this. One obvious one is mismatched encapsulations (ppp on one interface but hdlc on the neighbor interface) but you say that this is not the problem.

Another thing that can cause this is for one side to have keepalive disabled (no keepalive is the command) but the other side still has keepalive enabled (which is the default).

Another thing that can cause it is for the interface on the other side to be shutdown. Or there might be a problem on the circuit that prevents keepalives from being successfully transmitted. You might ask the other end to check their interface and ask the provider to test the circuit.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi

Please find the running config output of both interfaces below

interface Serial2/0

bandwidth 2048

backup delay 180 60

backup interface Dialer5

ip address 172.26.0.234 255.255.255.252

encapsulation ppp

no ip mroute-cache

end

interface Serial 6/2

bandwidth 2048

ip address 172.26.0.233 255.255.255.252

encapsulation ppp

end

Also When I'm connecting any other live links to this interface ( int se6/2) , it is coming up. Also We confirmed there is no problem with link from service provider by getting remote loops.

krix_brock
Level 1
Level 1

please check your line of ISP and check your physial connection of router.

Sir,

what is the speed of link? Also, the Leased line is terminated on which serial card(whether WIC-2T or WIC-1T) & who is Media Service Provider?

regds,

aman

The speed of the link is 2mbps and the line is terminated to WIC-2T. Media service provider is BSNL (india)

Hi

See if its line down , its a layer 1 and layer 2 issue . Get a loop test done end - end and isolate the problem . It can be the modem also /

Hi,

Wether this issue is solved ? If so i want to know. Becuase I am also facing similar problem. We have BSNL MLLN 2mbps line which works fine if i terminate that to WIC-1T card , but if i connect this to a WIC-2T card , the line protocol doesnot come up. But Wic-2t card & routers are fine becuase it works on non-mlln leased lines. Really strange, any solutions ??

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card