Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balance between 2 Cisco 3750 switches with equal-cost paths

wilson.jr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two offices in rural area with a quite distance between them. Offices are connected with private wireless 100Mbps and cooper 100Mbps links provided by different ISP. Wireless connections are delivered as a private L3 Ethernet link but cooper as private L2 Ethernet trunk link. In both offices I have Cisco 3750 L3 switches. I would like to use both link (equal-cost paths) in load balanced configuration but not sure how. Both switches running EIGRP. Asymmetric routing is not an option. Per-destination load-balancing or something else?

Any help is appreciate

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Not quite sure how you avoid asymmetrical routing when load balancing.  Could you clarify this requirement?

I'll be sending voice traffic via these links. Can somehow load balancing be symmetric or do I have any other solution to aggregate these two links?

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

could you route the copper Ethernet link? If so you could adjust the metrics to be equal cost at which point load balancing would be automatic.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

rizwanr74
Level 7
Level 7

If on both link cost are equal (as per EIGRP resulted metric from both links) then EIGRP will do load-balancing by default.

However if both links cost are resulted in not equal metrics, then you can enable unequal cost load-balancing, please follow the Cisco documentation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009437d.shtml

I assume this is how your offices are connected.

|-------wireless------ |           __  

| Office A  |                          | Office B |

|               |______wired____|             |

Thanks

Rizwan Rafeek

I don't think that 3750 switches can do unequal cost load balacing.

One would need a true router for that, an is not a good idea anyway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card