Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balance between T1 and Multilink

rathish_ram
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 routers with 3 T1's. 1 router is having 1 T1 on it and the other is having a multlink with 2 T1's bundled. Well i tried to add a static route, reduce the delay on the multilink ... but the traffic is just not passing through the single T1. Can any one suggest an effective method of load sharing between the links. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rathish

7 Replies 7

Hi,

If you use static routes you should define 2 with same costs. In case of using routing protocol the EIGRP will be most suitable in this case because it supports non-equal path routing.

Think also about which load balance type you want to use - "per packet" or "per destination".

Do not forget to switch CEF on because it will not only improve the performance but also provide a bit smarter load balancing (using not only destination address but source address as well).

//Mikhail Galiulin

mounir.mohamed
Level 7
Level 7

Dear,

Kindly add 2 default routes on on the MLP interface and second one on the single T1 interface then use any IGP to inject bot routes into your LAN.

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

How to inject two routes to the LAN? Can you give a some simple example, please?

I think it will look something like this:

ip route X.X.X.X Y.Y.Y.Y SerialA:B

ip route X.X.X.X Y.Y.Y.Y MultilinkC

router ospf ZZZ

redistribute static

I assume that you use OSPF in your LAN...

//Mikhail.Galiulin

Michail,

Thanks for the reply. But we have an EIGRP network in place. The problem is when i add a static route on both the sides, the packet is not comming back as eigrp is already redistributing the routes and packet sent is not reaching back to the router interface. I think i need to add a redistribute list. Kindly assist.

Regards,

Rathish

Hi Rathish,

If you run EIGRP than, I believe, you don't need any static routes.

Just use the variance parameter.

Check this document for details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009437d.shtml

//Mikhail.Galiulin

Thanks Mikhail

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card