src-dst-ip

mpls label-ip

EtherChannel Load-Balancing Addresses Used Per-Protocol:

Non-IP: Source XOR Destination MAC address

IPv4: Source XOR Destination IP address

IPv6: Source XOR Destination IP address

MPLS: Label or IP

It is using src-dst-ip right ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On other side ie site 2

site2 #show etherchannel load-balance

EtherChannel Load-Balancing Configuration:

src-mac

Non-IP: Source MAC address

IPv4: Source MAC address

IPv6: Source MAC address

It is using  src-mac right ?

My question is since i am using L3 etherchannel between two sites wan link.

Is it necessary to change to  src-dst-ip on site 2 for load-balance.

14 Replies 14

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

site1 #show etherchannel load-balance

src-dst-ip

mpls label-ip

Non-IP: Source XOR Destination MAC address

IPv4: Source XOR Destination IP address

IPv6: Source XOR Destination IP address

MPLS: Label or IP

It is using src-dst-ip right ?

Probably - unless most your traffic is between the same two IP hosts.

site2 #show etherchannel load-balance

src-mac

Non-IP: Source MAC address

IPv4: Source MAC address

IPv6: Source MAC address

It is using  src-mac right ?

My question is since i am using L3 etherchannel between two sites wan link.

Is it necessary to change to  src-dst-ip on site 2 for load-balance.

Probably not, as all L3 traffic would source from the same MAC, i.e. there would be no load balancing.

Yes, Site 2 should benefit from src-dst-ip.

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

as you know, Load balancing method is used to choose a member interface to forward traffic based on Src/Dst address, from one end to another, n its a stand-alone and independent config, doesnt mean if you have one setting at one end, same should be done for the other end.

Since in both cases (Mac and IP addrs) the switch chooses one forwarding interface per address; if you are not having problems, there is no need to change it.

However, on some chasis when source Mac addrs forwarding is used, load distribution based on the source and destination IP address is also enabled for routed IP traffic.

Hope it Helps,

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Thanks

As each link is of 20 mbps so totaly 40 mbps.

If I transfer 10GB of data from site1 one to site 2.

Is it 20 mbps load will be shared on each link or tottaly 40 mbps will be taken care on one link only.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As each link is of 20 mbps so totaly 40 mbps.

If I transfer 10GB of data from site1 one to site 2.

Is it 20 mbps load will be shared on each link or tottaly 40 mbps will be taken care on one link only.

Depends much on what the data flow look like.

If, for example, you have a large backup moving data between a pair of host, you'll normally NOT see any load balancing as the backup would be a single flow.

For Etherchannel load-balacing to be effective, it must see whatever it's using for its hash change.  So, also for example, when using src-dest-IP, ideally each flow will have a different src-dest-IP value.  (NB: even when they do, it's possible two flows will use the same link while the others go unused.)

Thanks alot

ya same thing is happening.

When i transfer 20 GB Of data from site1 to site2 .Only 20Mbps pipe is geeting full on one link.

Other link is not geeting utilised?

If at the same if transfer other data(other than 20GB) from site 1 to site 2 than other link is getting utilised.

Is it not possible to utilize entire 40Mbs when i transfer 20GB of data.?

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

When i transfer 20 GB Of data from site1 to site2 .Only 20Mbps pipe is geeting full on one link.

Other link is not geeting utilised?
If at the same if transfer other data(other than 20GB) from site 1 to site 2 than other link is getting utilised.
Is it not possible to utilize entire 40Mbs when i transfer 20GB of data.?

Not if data transfer uses a single flow and using Etherchannel.

If you're transferring a single large file, there are some utilities that will slice-and-dice and transfer using multiple flows, concurrently.

Hello Prashant,

when you make a file transfer between two specific hosts H1 and H2 all the packets that are sent are seen as a single flow and for this reason all of them follow the same path = all of them go on a single link member.

You can appreciate load balancing when multiple IP flows with different IP sources and IP destinations have to be routed over the bundle.

To be noted this would happen also in case of ECMP made of two indipendent L3 links as also CEF load balancing is flow based.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi

Problem is when i try to send 20GB of data the data which goes through that isp link1

Never cross 20Mbps.As the link is bundled so it should recieve 40Mbos right ?

Since that data goes through single flow only.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Again, for a single flow, that flow will only use one link.

Two or more flows might use same link or different links.

so that flow will not  utulize 40Mbps.

it will get 20Mps only ?

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

prashant kumar wrote:

so that flow will not  utulize 40Mbps.

it will get 20Mps only ?

Yes, and that's what you're seeing, correct?

Thanks a lot joseph,

It is cleare now.I will come back to you if i have any doubts.

Appreciate your valuable time given to me

Hi All,

As explained earlier I have two links

Data always flow through ISP1 only .when i shutdown ISP1 link than the data flows through ISP2.

Is it poosible to make the data flow through ISP2 withouting shutting down ISP1 link.

Hi All,

I found the answer .when calculated i found the value which was selecting secound port of the etherchannel.

Just interchanged both the links on the ports.

Now the data is flowing through isp2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: