cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balance two internet feeds (different ISPs) on 1800 router?

jasonhumes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'd like to setup an 1800 router as a firewall, but with two internet feeds setup to share the load over both. I'm told that just configuring two default routes will cause the router to do per connection load balancing of outbound connections...is this correct? How would I handle inbound connections, ie. Mail, FTP, etc? Would I just configure the DNS record (ie. the mx record) to point to both public addresses? Thanks very much.

Jason

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jason,

Yes, you can use DNS load balancing (round-robin only). i.e.

ftp.domain.com. 180 IN A ISP-A_IP_Address_Provided

ftp.domain.com. 180 IN A ISP-B_IP_Address_Provided

Regards,

Dandy

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

zaidumer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

well if you have 2 routers could go for GLBP instead of using static floating routes as default g/w on a single router..... itll give u redundancy for the routers too..

hope it helps..

We only have the one 1800 right now and the client is on a tight budget. The reason for the need of load sharing is that the client is waayy out in the middle of nowhere and any one single internet feed they can get out there is much too slow (1Mb at best). Thanks

Jason

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Jason, [Pls Rate if Helps]

2' Concepts of Load Balancing:

1. Per Packet Load Balancing

==>Allows the router to distribute the packets based on Destination address. Normally, Packets are guaranteed to take the same PATH

==>Enabled by default in Router and is most preferred concept.

2. Per Destination Load Banalcing

==>Allows the router to distribute packets regardless of HOST / user sessions. It uses Round Robin method ie., 1st Packet over Link-1 and second Packet over Link-2

Refer Link below for Configuration Tasks:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120newft/120limit/120s/120s21/pplb.htm

PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi

Thanks for the quick response. I had seen that document and it explains how the outbound traffic would work quite well, but I'm kinda foggy on how inbound connections would work. Would I just create two A records for the same domain name, each one pointing to one of the public addresses? Thanks

Jason

HI,

A single record can be mapped to any number of Public IP Address.

Pls check with your Service Provider for this requirement.

Please Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Jason,

Yes, you can use DNS load balancing (round-robin only). i.e.

ftp.domain.com. 180 IN A ISP-A_IP_Address_Provided

ftp.domain.com. 180 IN A ISP-B_IP_Address_Provided

Regards,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card