Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Balance

Hi,

Is it possible to load balance with static routing?I have 2 IPVPN link from telco and they use static route.I want to load balance our trafic between this link.Can i redistribute to EIGRP and do the load balance?

5 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Load Balance

Hi,

Yes. It is certainly possible to load balance using static routing. Just configure the following on your CE router:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

I'm not sure what you mean by redistributing into EIGRP. If you are going to use static routing you will not need to need EIGRP. However, if you mean that your provide is using EIGRP as a PE-CE link, then you could still use the above static defaults if the provider is not passing default routes to you via EIGRP.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Regards,

Paresh

Are we talking MPLS VPN, managed Internet VPN? The tricky part of load balancing with static routes is that you're only controlling traffic exiting your router. If you don't control the other end (which is why we'll need to know what you mean by IPVPN), you're not really doing anything for load balancing inbound.

Keep in mind that your route caching in the end will dictate which link the flow will traverse. With L3 load sharing, you won't see an even 50/50 load sharing. You can enable CEF per packet load sharing, but you risk out of order packets which can affect voice traffic and other real time data.

If the carrier will do Multilink PPP and both links are going back to the same carrier router, I'd go that route instead. If the carrier offers redundancy, push for a redundant pair of routers running GLBP to provide maximum availability.

Hi,

Yes,its MPLS VPN.Both telco use static route to reach to this remote site.To reach to our Main office one telco use OSPF and other Telco still use static and both are redistributed to EIGRP in Main office.Do i need to let one telco change the OSPF to static?We're not currently deploying voice traffic to our remote site.

VIP Purple

Hello,

I am not really clear on your setup. You say that both your Telcos are using static routes to reach your remote sites, but that one Telco is using OSPF to reach your main site. And at the main site you are running EIGRP, into which you redistribute both the static route and the OSPF route from the providers ? Either way, as stated, you are likely to be able to control outbound traffic only, so two equal cost static routes, together with CEF (´ip cef´ globally configured on your router) should be sufficient for the load-balancing...

Regards,

GP

Hello,

first please understand, that load balancing has to be looked at per direction and per site.

So there are different tasks you describe:

A) load balancing from remote site to the telcos.

B) load balancing from the main site to the telcos.

As the telcos do not interconnect and each has only one link into your site there is no need for them to load balance (correct me in case my picture is wrong).

So A) remote to telco:

Like Paresh and GP have pointed out, two static routes are the best option, assuming one router is used to connect to the two telcos.

And B) main to telcos:

I would recommend to use static routing towards both telcos and redistribute the statis routes into EIGRP, because for load sharing you need symmetry with respect to IP routing. Both pathes have to have the same metric to be considered for load balancing.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content