Views
Helpful
Replies

load balancing and redundancy with 2 different ISPs

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys!

1)What is the perfect design regading the load balancing and redundancy with 2 different ISPs

2)what is the cases of peering with ISPs using BGP not static route?

Thanks

12 Replies 12

dnoc43
Level 1
Level 1

Can you describe what you are trying to accomplish?  inbound or outbound lb / reduncancy, single site or multiple, etc?

hello

assume all situation.

Thanks

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) BGP, public AS, and PI addresses.

2) see (1)

hi bevi!

pls list me a good design on both:have ur public as and private as or static route

Thanks

search " bgp multihoming".

it cannot be done with static route.

Since all this is complicated and expensive, most people just use NAT load balancing.

pdf  much appreciated for this matter

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

you need to have your own IP space and AS number.  This is clean, and provides you the control over the announcement of your traffic.  Run BGP with ISP's,  would also investigate Pfr as an option.

hi

y mean that i have to buy a real AS or fake AS?

1)tell me how y do it with fake AS if is it possible to acheive both redundancy and load balance?

2)can we acheive redundancy and load balance if use static route as usual  to ISPs

3)take into ur consideration that i run GLBP on the edge router

Thanks

1.  Cannot use private AS if you want to control upstream traffic via the peers.  The only way to accomplish this is via public AS.

2.  As already indicated you cannot use static routing to accomplish this with 2 different ISP's.  If you used the same ISP and had the same POP you could run equal weight static routes and get what you are looking for, but that is not what you asked.

3.  GLBP is used before the edge, not on the edge.  GLBP is much like HSRP or VRRP in which routing is sent to the edge via specified criteria.  GLBP provides gateway load balancing.

thanks

thanks

Hi Alsayed

Please find a document attached with configuration examples.. am sure this doc will help you..

as other posters said, it is easy to do this with public AS's and by getting IP addresses from APNIC... with private AS it becomes really tough, as you will have to depend more on your upstream BGP peers for translating your BGP numbers ! anyways the document explains all scenarios you need.

Hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card