Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Load balancing between 2 ISP's

We have two lease lines to 2 different providers for internet. I need to load balance between these 2 links which r of same bandwidth. What will be the configs used in this kind of setup. we r using static routes. any tips on this.

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Purple

Re: Load balancing between 2 ISP's

You can do one of two things:

- divide the hosts on your LAN segment into two groups. Assign the first router as the default gateway for the first group and then assign the second router as the default gateway for the second group OR

- configure GLBP on the routers so that you only configure a single default gateway on all hosts but get load-sharing via GLBP. Here's a link with info on configuring GLBP:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t15/ft_glbp.htm

In either case, you will need to configure a static default route on each router as follows:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

9 REPLIES

Hi Fazim,

The easiest way will be to have 2 default route with same admin distance

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 200

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 200

This will have equal load balancing.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

hi ankur,

i forgot to add that the 2 lease lines r on 2 diff routers.

thanks

Purple

Hi,

In order to answer your question, could you advise how these 2 routers connect to the rest of the network ? Is there a single LAN segment that connects to both routers ?

Paresh

yes there is a single LAN segment that connects to both the routers.

Purple

You can do one of two things:

- divide the hosts on your LAN segment into two groups. Assign the first router as the default gateway for the first group and then assign the second router as the default gateway for the second group OR

- configure GLBP on the routers so that you only configure a single default gateway on all hosts but get load-sharing via GLBP. Here's a link with info on configuring GLBP:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122t/122t15/ft_glbp.htm

In either case, you will need to configure a static default route on each router as follows:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Paresh

thanks for the help, i havent tried it yet but i have a feeling that it will work good. thanks for the answers guys.

What if a PIX is sitting in between the users and the internet routers ? Can GLBP can stil be configiured ?

Also is it possible to assign multiple real IPs from two differant service providers to a single Proxy server ?

Purple

If the only way that your users can get to your internet routers is through the PIX, you don't need to use GLBP at all. Just point their default gateways to the PIX.

If you have the PIX sitting on a LAN with 2 routers, configure GLBP on the two routers to give you redundancy.

Paresh

if i configure GLBP on the two routers and the pix exist before router load sharing doesn't achieved but the redundancy achieved .

my problem is i want to achieve both redundancy and load sharing .

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content