cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing between a Bridged link and a Routed link

tffmaguire
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently reviewing a design proposal for our WAN.

1 link will be a Point-to-Point Ethernet private line connection between 2 3750e's running RIP. (The interfaces on each end are configured as a layer 3 interface).

The other link will be connected via an Internet connection on both ends. This connection will be achieved via "nailed" up Encrypted Tunnelling bridging devices.

These devices will be connected on the LAN side to the 3750e's as switch ports.

Will traffic be load balanced over these 2 links ? (I'm thinking no)

The primary goal of this proposal is to provide WAN redundancy.

I personally think there are better ways to achieve this w/out getting into non cisco tunnel bridges.

Thoughts ?

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tom

Perhaps there is something in this situation that I am not understanding. But when you describe:

"This connection will be achieved via "nailed" up Encrypted Tunnelling bridging devices. These devices will be connected on the LAN side to the 3750e's as switch ports."

this seems to me to indicate that it will see the same VLAN (and the same subnet) on both sides. But having "interfaces on each end are configured as a layer 3 interface" would seem to indicate separate subnets (and separate VLANs) on each side.

One or the other can be true but I do not see how both can be true. So it looks to me like one approach or the other will work but not both. And therefore no load sharing.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick.

You have confirmed my suspicions.

I appreciate your assistance.

Tom

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card