Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing for voice, video, and data

ogencheva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there.

I have a remote site connected over point-to-point T1. There is data, IP voice and IP video traffic go over the line. We are planning to add a second t1 as first one is saturated. I could not decide what is the best way to balance. I am thinking about EIGRP or PPP MLP, or maybe just CEF? I think going per packet balancing would effect voice and video quality. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone already has same setup and how it works out for you. The other question is QoS settings, do you reserve maximum bandwidth on each T1 interface? Maening that you are reserving enough for only one T1 to carry all voice and video? White papers, best practices or such will be appreciated.

Thanks, Olga

2 Replies 2

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

Load balancing is based on a combination of source and destination packet information; it allows you to optimize resources by distributing traffic over multiple paths for transferring data to a destination. You configure load balancing on outbound interfaces on a per-destination or per-packet.

For more information refer to the following url.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a0080087c5b.html#1015331.

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

As mentioned by the previous poster you can try it out using normal load balancing on outbound interface but i would suggest per-destination instead of per-packet here since you have got voip traffic too here.

Per-packet may put u in trouble with voip packets in place while re-ordering them out in the destination side.

Also you can think off something inline with MLP where in u have the advantage of configuring LFI,IP RTP,TCP header compression which will place eqaul sized packets on the wire which will def helps out to over come the delays involved in transfering the packets from one location to the other..

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card