Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing on router 1600

thaershunnar
Level 1
Level 1

HI.

I have a 1600 router with two serials and one ethernet.

and i have two incoming lines each of 128kbps that is to be connected to the serials, and the ethernet to my LAN.

is there any way to balance between the two lines? and if i can what is the required configuration on the router?

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

What kinda link connectivity you have on the serial ports ?

Is it normal point to point connectivity or Internet Leased Line getting connected to the outside world ?

If its a point to point connectivity then you can have simple static routes pointing via the interfaces with equal admin distance to take care of the load balancing.

If its internet leased line i would prefer to use them for redundancy purpose instead of trying out load balancing on them..

regds

hi spremkumar

it is a simple point to point connectivity.

but i did not get your sol, i am sorry i am new in the networking world, so it would be appreciated if you go a little deeper.

thank you.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

If both links are from the same provider, just use 2 default routes to both links and you'll have load-sharing, to control your load-sharing technique, use CEF ("ip cef") and then you'll have 2 options, either to do the balancing per packet or per destination (if you can't use CEF, using fast switching will force you to do per-destination load-sharing).

I hope that i've been informative, please don't hesitate for further questions.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco