cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

load balancing on static route

Just Kennie
Level 1
Level 1

Please I have two link through diff ISP connecting me to the head office, I want to configure load balancing, so traffic can take the two link and the same time a fail over, how do i go abour it...

2. Also i have another branch with EIGRP running. I have three links and three tunnel connecting to the head office. My link bandwidth is 128kbps each.I know EIGRP use half of the bandwidth for hello or route update (please confirm).and the bandwidth on the tunnel is 8mpbs. What will EIGRP see the tunnel bandwidth as, and how often will half of the link be used. Thanks.

10 Replies 10

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

u can just simply do:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [isp1]

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [isp2]

with eigrp

it is better to put the bandidth command in the serial links and tunnel to be exact in the path calculation

Thannks, with this two default routes, will traffic be shared equally btw the two links.

using bandwith for eigrp, that means i will use the actual bandwith of the link?

is ot hello packet that is generating the traffic or routing update.

Since a tunnel is a virtual interface it does not have a real bandwidth. The effective bandwidth of the tunnel is the bandwidth of the media over which the tunnel runs. But IOS can not know what that effective bandwidth is, so it chooses a value for bandwidth for the tunnel of 8K. By default EIGRP will limit its hello and update traffic to one half of the bandwidth. So in your case EIGRP will not use more than 4 K for hello and update traffic. If you would like it to use more you could either configure the bandwidth of the tunnel to some more realistic value (which is what I frequently do) or you can configure EIGRP to use a higher percent of bandwidth.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Please i need to tell u that i have a tunnel configured for the links. and the traffic passed through the tunnel with diff administrative distance for auto fail over. will the traffic now be shared over the two link,or will it still pass through the tunneled static root with higher AD.

If it goes through different tunnels with different AD, then I would expect that it would still treat one tunnel as primary to carry the traffic and the other tunnel as backup to carry traffic if the primary tunnel fails. I do not think that it would be shared over both tunnels.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

So are you saying if i want the two link to load balance, i should assign equal AD to the two static routes.?

if they have defrent AD the lower will be used and the higher will be as backup

I know about that,MY PROBLEM IS I WANT THE TWO LINKS TO LOAD BALANCE THE TRAFFIC.IF I CONFIGURE TWO DEFAULT ROUTE WITH STATIC ROUTES OF DIFF DISTANCE,WILL IT LOAD BALANCE.OR I NEED TO CONFIGURE STATIC ROUTES OF SAME AD.

u need to configur two deault routes with same distance

yes will be load balnanced per flow

good luck

if helpful rate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card