cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load balancing using average input queue

oqureshi
Level 1
Level 1

I need to know is there a way to track input queue of WAN interface and than do GLBP on it. I have got two separate wan links on two routers and need to track average input of interface for gateway load balancing.

3 Replies 3

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Omair,

I don't know of such a feature.

GLBP is designed for default gateway load balancing for hosts on LAN segments, not for load balancing on input traffic of WAN interfaces.

Routing protocols, like OSPF, EIGRP can do a WAN load balancing for you.

Cheers:

Istvan

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unclear why you would want to track the input queue of a WAN interface and do GLBP. Is this "WAN" interface some type of MetroE interface and what you're trying to do is adjust the weight of GLBP for the inbound traffic on such interfaces? If so, what might be possible (not positive that it is) is using EEM to watch the input queue (or perhaps other inbound usage stats) and adjust GLBP weights within a script. One problem is such analysis will only be local to the one box.

You understood it correct, i dont have metro ethernet but WAN digital cross connects. Your point is also valid that I need to track downlink usage which would be traffic coming in(input queue). I need balancing in such a way that when more than half of the WAN link is used than traffic should start getting balanced between both. Of of my link is 2MB and other one is 4MB so thought to track 4MB link and when usage reach 2Mbps other wan link gets starting to be used. Both the links are on separate routers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card