Views
Helpful
Replies

Load sharing and fail over

Lavanholy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco1841 router ,which has 2 fast ethernet ports ,Then I have loaded one 4 switch port module,I am going to have the 2 DSL ISP connections,2 DSL modems will be terminated to each of the ethernet interface.

Now I have servers connected to teh 4 switch port module,

Can I configure load sharing and fail over between the two ethernet interfaces?

Can you give me a sample configuration.

Thanks and Regarsd,

S.Venkataraman

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Venkat

Have you taken the DSL connections from the same ISP or is it from 2 different ISPs ?

I would suggest to check out for higher capacity single pipe or use the links on failover scenario instead of load balancing.

If you do load balancing on the 2 DSL links you will be able to do the outbound load balancing and also you may not get desired/proper load balancing ..

On the inbound load balancing you may not have the traffic evenly getting distributed between your links..

regds

Hi Prem,

Thanks for the info.If suppose I have same ISP,in that case can I be able to configure the load sharing and failover for both inbound and out bound?

Thanks and Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

I am interested doing something very similar with a 2811. Can you divide the switching ports in to to VLANs and route packets from the FE ports to the devices in the switch?

john.castanares
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have already done this setup recently using "same ISP". This is possible to configure the load sharing between two wan link as long it is same ISP by using "per-packet scheme"

Pls. see the sample config below:

inter loop 0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

int fa0/0

ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.252

description "link 1"

ip load-sharing per-packet

int fa0/1

ip address 3.3.3.3 255.255.255.252

description "link 2"

ip load-sharing per-packet

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 4.4.4.4 (note: next-hop is the loopback of ISP)

ip route 4.4.4.4 255.255.255.255 fa0/0

ip route 4.4.4.4 255.255.255.255 fa0/1

Note: you are required to coordinate with the isp since they need also to configure a loadbalancing from their side also.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

-john-

Hi John,

Thanks,I will try this.

Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card