cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load sharing

abhishekatulip
Level 1
Level 1

I have a case where there are two different ISP's terminating their intranet links (MPLS) on two different routers. I want to use both the links in active mode. Please suggest the solution.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

load sharing is possible in some scenarios, it depends on your network design and inolved routing protocols. Can you please provide more information regarding the topology - what is "behind" the two CE routers, etc. - and routing protocols in use.

As a side note: instead of two HSRP groups you can also use gateway load balancing protocol (GLBP). Further details can be found f.e. at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/ip_appl/configuration/guide/taipglbp.html

Hope this helps! Please use the rating system.

Regards, Martin

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Abhi,

As per my knowledge if you are terminating this two links with two deferent router then it is not possible.

But if the far end is in a single router then u can try for that, with the help of per packet, per destination, bonding with Multilink or BGP load sharing.

Thanks

Goutam

shivlu jain
Level 5
Level 5

abhishek may be you know me becasue i am also from tulip.

For your problem you can go with the HSRP with 2 different groups and perform the load sharing. Even this will provide your full redundancy also.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/hsrp_bgp.html

regards

shivlu

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Running BGP with the 2 ISP's & then playing with attributes could be a good solution.

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

load sharing is possible in some scenarios, it depends on your network design and inolved routing protocols. Can you please provide more information regarding the topology - what is "behind" the two CE routers, etc. - and routing protocols in use.

As a side note: instead of two HSRP groups you can also use gateway load balancing protocol (GLBP). Further details can be found f.e. at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/ip_appl/configuration/guide/taipglbp.html

Regards, Martin

Dear all

hsrp and glbp are a good idea for the internal server with a private address.

but, if the server has to set a public adress and there do not have avalid AS# to run BGP with SP,

what can we do?

regard

dongdong

Hi Martin

Thanks for the suggestion. GLBP as the option we had thought of. The following inputs might help you:

1- Both links are VPN links- on two different routers.

2- Both these links are from two different service providers.

3- The IOS is- c1841-ipbase-mz.124-1c.bin.

4- Both routers are connected to a common Layer-2 switch (lower end Cisco make). Model is not confirmed.

Please let me know if any additional information is required.

Hi,

The important info is the connectivity behind your two CE routers, as GLBP will answer ARP requests for the default gateway IP address with the MAC addresses of participating routers. In case you have many PCs and the CEs are the default gateways, it will work. In case you have a firewall behind the CE routers it will not work, as every single host (here firewall) gets one router assigned by GLBP. So one host => no load sharing with GLBP.

This is why I wrote "some scenarios".

There is no further information required as far as I can see.

One more comment:

Load sharing will be per host/PC and not per packet, so do not expect exactly 50:50 distribution of traffic all the time.

Regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: