cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Locked out of RV320

John1963
Level 1
Level 1

After changing the certificate on a RV320 Dual Wan I'm no longer able to access the router. I have tried several ways to reset the router to the factory settings, including the 30/30/30 sec method. 

I noticed that there are more users reporting the same issue but I have not seen any solution yet.

Please advise.

24 Replies 24

Hello,

I don't think there is a different way than to press and hold the reset button for more than 10 seconds. What happens if you do that, does it boot at all ?

One of the Cisco technicians recommended this (https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/small-business-routers/rv320-error-certificate/td-p/2819911):

"hold the reset button for about 30 seconds, then disconnect the power cable but keep holding the reset button for 30 seconds and finally connect back the power cable and hold for another 30 seconds"

With this, or the standard reset, the router reboots but nothing changes. Both WAN connections are still operational after the reset so nothing reverts to factory settings.

John1963
Level 1
Level 1

Really disappointing that there is only one reply so far and no solution. Makes me wonder if I made a mistake in choosing Cisco.

Just to rephrase my question: how can I restore the factory settings on my Cisco RV320? After changing the certificate, I can no longer access the router's settings (http response is ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED). All attempts to reset the router failed. It reboots, and since both WAN connection come back up, it did not reset anything.

Hello John,

annoying indeed.

I am thinking you might want to try the reset in a slightly different way: power off the device, then (and not before) hold down the reset button, and then power it on. Hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds.

Thanks for the reply Georg. Much appreciated.

The reboot you mentioned ends in the PWR led flashing and the red DIAG led on. I can ping the device, but all other attempts to reach the router end in a time out.

This type of reboot is described in a Cisco document that explains how to restore the device after a failed firmware update. For that, I would need to connect a pc directly to the router and configure the pc address as static 192.168.1.100. 

I will try to do a firmware recovery later today.

I tried to perform a firmware recover as described in the Cisco bulletins but all I get is a time out error. I followed the steps exactly, and I entered "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put RV32X_v1.4.2.19_20180330-code.bin. After about 20 seconds I get a time out message.

Three weeks later and still no solution. The most disappointing thing is that even though this is a Cisco Support forum, no one from Cisco had the courtesy so respond. I have tried to contact Cisco Support by phone but that requires a service contract.

All I can do now is claim warranty from the company that sold me the router and stay away from Cisco products in the future.

John,

sorry to hear that you are still stuck. In your original post you say:

--> After changing the certificate on a RV320 Dual Wan I'm no longer able to access the router. 

What did you change exactly ? I think somehow this particular change caused something...maybe its a bug...

Georg,

I tried to create a certificate to be able to connect to the router using https. The manual describes that browers may issue a warning.

Knipsel.JPG

Hello,

sorry for my basic question, I am pretty sure you have already tried everything, but does that include connecting with Putty and SSH ?

Hi Georg,
No, I have not tried SSH yet. Besides http(s) I have only tried sftp which did not work.
I will try to connect using SSH.

When trying to connect with SSH I get a network error "Connection refused"

I have the same problem with an RV325. you will not be able to connect using CLI, as someone very smart found that it is a good idea to have it disabled by default. So if you did a Reset to Factory Default you won't be able to connect using ssh.

I don't think I managed to do a Reset to Factory Default at all as my RV320 reconnected to both WAN connections after an attempt to reset the device. 

I have now returned the router to the store where I bought it so hopefully they can fix it or replace the unit.

Would have been really nice if Cisco had the courtesy to at least confirm whether this is normal behaviour or a possible bug in the firmware of the router, especially since I'm not the only one having these issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card