cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

logging buffered and memory usage

DARYLE DIANIS
Level 1
Level 1

This might sound kind of dumb, but is there much risk increasing my buffered logging from 8192 to 16,384? This is a 7204 and the show version is:

Cisco 7204VXR (NPE-G1) processor (revision B) with 983040K/65536K bytes of memory.

Seems like I have tons of memory, but before I change this production router, I'd like to make sure I'm safe.  I don't want to crash anything because I did something that wasn't too smart.  

thanks,

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would say that it is quite low risk to increase from 8192 to 16384 for memory for logging buffered, especially if you seem to have plenty of free memory.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Rick notes, you should be okay if you have adequate free memory, but what you posted only shows total memory, not what's used.  Use show memory.

PS:

The above noted, I would be surprised if you don't have enough free memory to allocate another 8 KB to the system log.

thanks!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Same here.  

Low risk.  You've got a beefy router.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card