Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

looking for info on the NPE-G2 integrated GigE port performance.

Hi,  I'm  building a 7206 VXR NPE-G2 and I'm not sure whether I should add PA-GE adapters or I can use the integrated GigE ports.  I'm using multiple VRFs (VRF lite), BGP (50K entries), VoIP and CoS extensively including traffic shaping, CBFWQ, LLQ so I want to make sure there are no performance limitations.  The overall traffic throughput is about 400 Mbps.  I will appreciate some advice on this configuration.

Thank you !

Martin

Everyone's tags (1)
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: looking for info on the NPE-G2 integrated GigE port performa

Hello Martin,

given the C7200 architecture I recommend you to use the integrated GE ports rather then additional GE PAs, you can better performance with NPE-G2 built-in ports.

I can say that I have tested years ago NPE-G1 and it was able to move 500 Mbps per direction between two built-in GE ports.

NPE-G2 is declared capable of twice pps.

>> VoIP and CoS extensively including traffic shaping, CBFWQ, LLQ

the device is still a SW based router so the more features you add the less perfomance you get.

I would say that unless VOIP means also voice gateway functions you should be fine with hierarchical QoS (parent shaper policy that invokes a child CBWFQ with LLQ) or you have a great quota of small voip packets again it would be a problem as performance limit is actually in terms of packets per second rather then traffic aggregate.

again official data are 2 Mpps with no features.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Re: looking for info on the NPE-G2 integrated GigE port performa

Thanks Giuseppe, so aside of performance can I assume that the same IOS features supported on the PA-GE ports are also available on the integrated GE ports ?

Thanks

Martin

Views
Helpful
Replies