Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback, Management and Router ID's

amohabir1
Level 1
Level 1

Fellow Net Pro's

I am currently working on a new data center design that will be housed at a co-lo facility.

What I was wondering is if I assigned a loopback address to every device that I have on my diagram. Does it make sense to use it as the router ID for the OSPF process running, as well as the management ip of the device.

Since I will be summarizing routes at various modules of the ospf process, the loopback address will be an address included in the subnet that I will be advertising. Hence there could be various loopback addresses from different subnets. Does this make sense or should I just allocate a subnet to use for Router ID's and the management (traditionally management vlan/nrtwork) network.

3 Replies 3

amohabir1
Level 1
Level 1

The first attachment was blank so re-attaching.

Anand

I would think it was appropriate to use the loopback address as both the OSPF routerID and as the management address of the router. Just make sure that as you do your summarizations that you do not mis-direct how to get to the address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes thats exactly what my plan was. i just wanted to be sure that it made sense to do so. I don't want to create a seperate managment vlan for all of the devices.

The loopback addresses that I will be assigning will be based part of the summarization route that the devices will be advertising. So for example...the 4510's will advertise the network 10.50.240.0/28 and a possible loopback address that would be used is 10.50.241.253.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card