cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Losing connection to PIX on 506-E

m-jankowski
Level 1
Level 1

When I access my PIX remotely or from the LAN it will drop the connection about 10 mins into configuring anything, even if I'm using the interface and monitoring. I then have to shut off my browser, wait a few minutes, then connect again. This is happening repeatably even with resets.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6 Replies 6

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Can you provide a more overall information to help you better.

Is this happening just when you connect to the PIX PDM or telnet , is it dropping other users connections as well?

"This is happening repeatably even with resets "

when you say reset do you mean you power cycle the pix ? Is this a problem that newly developed?

Jorge Rodriguez

Once I put it on the network here at my work it started to drop the connection whenever I was in the PDM. I don't use telnet so I have no clue if its affected as well.

When I say reset I mean actually resetting the PIX to factory defaults. As far as I know its not dropping any network traffic, its just booting me off the PDM which is really annoying when you set up an entire VPN and then hit save and it can't because there is no connection.

EDIT: For the record its a PIX 506-E using PDM manager 3.0

what version PIX code are you running, can you get that info.., this is not the same as PDM..

I would not reset to factory defauls if you PDM loses connection to PDM, reseting to fact defaults will force you to re-configure the PIX again everytime this happens, we have to find the cause. post the pix code version ..

Jorge Rodriguez

Where would I find the pix code? I have the running config.. it says 6.3(5)?

Thats the version 6.3.5 which is ok..

have you tried accessing PDM using a different machine?

Check the physical connections on the inside interface of the pix, you can issue this command " show interface " and note if there are crc errors, collisions, output errors etc.. on the interface.

also check the port the PC connects into for errors..

you may also want to update or reinstall the java software in your PC.

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Jorge Rodriguez

I've accessed from 4 different machines, 2 on the internal side, 2 on the external side and all 4 do it.

I updated the Java, no results.

As for the physical interface, both patch cables are brand new and working and the power supply is clean from a UPS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: