Views
Helpful
Replies

Lost traffic when Multilink drops a T1

Vince Lingle
Level 1
Level 1

Here goes....

MPLS customer with 4 T1s in a multilink. If one of the T1s drops there is a brief delay in traffic picking back up and I actually lose packets from premise back to CO. You can see this loss both with pinging across the circuit and with techs on either end running JPerf. It can take as long as 6 seconds for the reconvergence to actually happen on the multilink and traffic picks back up. In my experience this is normal behavior for Mulitlinks, but I wanted to throw it out there just in case we're all missing something that can help the convergence time.

I'd also like to note that it is indeed much quicker reconvergence when you physically pull the T1, any of the T1s, rather than administratively shutting down one of them and I understand that the hardware is quicker than software and that's a good thing, obviously. I've tried this with and without ppp mulitlink fragment disabled on either end and every other combo between the two. Each of the 4 serial interfaces are on line timing and I tried free-running just on the off chance that it could imrpove the loss, but it gets worse.....back to line timing. I've even tried this on other CPE platforms like two different versions of Adtran CPEs and I get the same thing. Currently I have a new 2821 CPE in place and still get the same thing. Still see a brief amount of traffic loss up to 6-7 seconds or so at times.

Again, I've advised my colleagues that this is pretty normal behavior in my experience, but want to get some outside influence on this. Here are the configs:

7600 side:

interface Multilink592

ip vrf forwarding ******************

ip address *************************

load-interval 30

no peer neighbor-route

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 592

ppp multilink fragment disable

no cdp enable

service-policy output VPN-TEMPLATE-2

interface Serial9/2/0.2/9:0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 592

Each of the 4 are the same so I'll leave out the other 3.

2800 side:

interface Multilink1

ip address ********************

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

max-reserved-bandwidth 90

controller T1 0/0/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

channel-group 1 timeslots 1-24

interface Serial0/0/0:1

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

max-reserved-bandwidth 90

Again, each of the 4 are the same so I'll leave out the redundant info.

Any input is much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mavespig
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Vince,

When you shut down/disconnect a link on one site, the remote end will detect the disconnection only when the keepalives will expire. During that time, it will still forward traffic to that interface, and those packets are lost.

To reduce the convergence time you may play with keepalive settings under the serial interfaces.

keepalive

Try for example to configure each interface, on both sides, with "keepalive 1 1"

Let me know if it helps

Marco

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mavespig
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Vince,

When you shut down/disconnect a link on one site, the remote end will detect the disconnection only when the keepalives will expire. During that time, it will still forward traffic to that interface, and those packets are lost.

To reduce the convergence time you may play with keepalive settings under the serial interfaces.

keepalive

Try for example to configure each interface, on both sides, with "keepalive 1 1"

Let me know if it helps

Marco

Wow, the downtime/traffic lost is greatly imrpoved. We're going to get on either end with JPerf again, but ICMP is telling me that this is now much, much better. Can't believe that didn't cross my mind. Makes perfect sense and your pointer is very much appreciated, bro. This is a customer with a particularly sensative set of IP phones and PBX and this might actually do the trick. The funny thing is that I was explaining to management that their keepalive/hold timer for their PBX has to be really, really low....and yet I didn't think to change said parameters on our side. lol

Thanks again. I'll let you know the end result with the customer's voice traffic.

Vince Lingle
Level 1
Level 1

Labbed up an IP Phone to Mitel 5000 to mimic the exact same traffic and it performed well. Roughly 2 seconds for traffic comes back and the IP phone never lost sync. Looks like this worked like a charm.

Vince Lingle
Level 1
Level 1

Drawback to this being that there very well could be more bounces due to a lower keepalive, but in this particular situation it's warrented. Much appreciated......

Glad to see that it helped, Vince.

Cheers

Marco

* Remember to rate useful posts *

Post rated.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card