Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Low latency queueing -- best practices/limitations

I recall reading or hearing somewhere that there was a practical restriction, or at least a best practice, regarding priority queueing for voice across WAN links.

I thought that you cannot, or should not, build QOS parameters to allocate >20% of the WAN bandwidth to voice traffic. I thought it was a limitation on the low-latency queueing buffers or something. Now, of course, I can't find any documentation to that effect.

So here's the question: is there a hard limit or a best practice limitation on how much bandwidth you should allocate to the voice priority queue?

1 REPLY

Re: Low latency queueing -- best practices/limitations

Cisco Technical Marketing testing has shown a significant decrease in data application response times

when realtime traffic exceeds one-third of link bandwidth capacity. Extensive testing and customer

deployments have shown that a general best queuing practice is to limit the amount of strict priority

queuing to 33 percent of link capacity. This strict priority queuing rule is a conservative and safe design

ratio for merging realtime applications with data applications.

Hope that helps

Chris

Check out the SRND guides

Views
Helpful
Replies