Views
Helpful
Replies

Low memory message error on sw 3560v2 L3 functions

pwc_mexico
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

Somebody help me , a few months ago, l have some problems when l try to access to the switch by telnet or ssh, by the console port , the switch show me the next message:

low mem error sw 3560.jpg

l need restart the switch in order to access it again.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's not "low memory", per se.  You're running an IOS with a memory hog bug.

Please post the output to the command "sh version".

Hi dude, could you help me please, l attached the Sh version command.

Thanks.

Regards

Sorry for the late response as I was busy at work.

Just saw your attachment and I've noticed that you are running a 3560 24-port and a non-PoE flavour IOS.  You are also running 15.0(1)SE.

I would like to recommend that you stay away from 15.0(1)SE, or SE1.  If you would like to use the IOS 15.0 then instead, use 15.0(1)SE2.  I'm currently testing this version and I don't see any issues.

Otherwise, the safest IOS I've seen so far is the 12.2(55)SE4 or SE5.

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There are 2 possibilities here:

1. The HW resources are depleted  - not enough CEF to handle the number of routes you are pushing on the switch.

2. CEF leak bug. This can be checked by reloading the box and if after that the CEF is haing enough resources but slowly gets depleted, you need to look for bug.

I suggest to check the current number of prefixes in CEF with "show ip cef summary" command.

Note that the amount of CEF entries that the switch can handle is dependent upon your SDM template you use. If you are using the default, the following applies:

number of IPv4 unicast routes:                    8K

number of directly-connected IPv4 hosts:        6K

number of indirect IPv4 routes:                 2K

You can check the current template with "show sdm prefer" command. If the number of routes is close to max, you may want to change it to routing template with "switch(config)# sdm prefer routing":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swsdm.html

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Update IOS. If still trouble, contact the TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card