Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing IOS versions?

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

How do you manage IOS updates? From that I mean, when you have a large enterprise, do you methodically do a site at a time, blast all images out at once and then schedule reloads? Do you update over the wire or do you copy the image to the site to update from the lan? Do you use standard tftp or do you use a Cisco product to manage these?

Currently, we don't have a true process in place to manage/update equipment. We update basically when we find a bug and the bug is affecting us. This can cause us to get a few versions apart on routers. For example, Router A may have version 12.4, but Router B could have 15.2, but Router B may have started at 12.4 as well. We're looking for a sound way to keep images across the enterprise standard, so I'm wondering what everyone else does.

Thanks!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
17 Replies 17

Thanks Scott. I completely agree.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When they found out what I did, I threatened to roll-back the IOS back.

Lol! Since they were already terrified of updating the image, I'm sure the threat worked. They didn't want you touching it again, so they stayed with it       

They didn't want you touching it again, so they stayed with it 

Errrr ... Actually no.  You see a few days after they found out, Cisco released another newer IOS.  Guess what I did?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card