Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max amount of GRE tunnels

Hi,

could you tell me how much GRE tunnels can i configure on a router? And do we have any limitations?

thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is not a limit on the number of GRE tunnels other than the limit on the total number of interfaces supported on that router model. Each interface (both physical and virtual) requires an Interface Descriptor Block and the number of IDBs has a limit. The exact limit varies by platform (and sometimes by version of code). You can configure as many GRE tunnels as you want until you reach the number of IDB for your platform.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Adding to Richard and Leo.........

The limitation of the interfaces is bind to the IDB (Interface Descriptor Blocks) limit which is a function of the IOS and the Platform. You can use the show idb command on your platforms to see what the limits will be on your gear.

I am not much aware about 1800/2800/3800, but i think 7200 series router support 8000 GRE tunnel.

Please find link for your ref.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/wirelssw/ps873/products_data_sheet09186a00801c33a8.html

Maximum Number of Interfaces

Every interface uses an IDB. Therefore, the IDB limit indicates the maximum number of interfaces a router can handle.

The IDB limit is, therefore, the answer to the common question "How many (sub)interfaces can be configured on this platform?"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080094322.shtml

Reagrds

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is not a limit on the number of GRE tunnels other than the limit on the total number of interfaces supported on that router model. Each interface (both physical and virtual) requires an Interface Descriptor Block and the number of IDBs has a limit. The exact limit varies by platform (and sometimes by version of code). You can configure as many GRE tunnels as you want until you reach the number of IDB for your platform.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello, Can we configure 2 GREs in a CISCO 3925 router in a Primary/Secondary way.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It'll depend on the exact model of your router.

Gets even worst if your router doesn't have a VPN card. 

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Adding to Richard and Leo.........

The limitation of the interfaces is bind to the IDB (Interface Descriptor Blocks) limit which is a function of the IOS and the Platform. You can use the show idb command on your platforms to see what the limits will be on your gear.

I am not much aware about 1800/2800/3800, but i think 7200 series router support 8000 GRE tunnel.

Please find link for your ref.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/wirelssw/ps873/products_data_sheet09186a00801c33a8.html

Maximum Number of Interfaces

Every interface uses an IDB. Therefore, the IDB limit indicates the maximum number of interfaces a router can handle.

The IDB limit is, therefore, the answer to the common question "How many (sub)interfaces can be configured on this platform?"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080094322.shtml

Reagrds

Hello, Can we create 2 GRE tunnels in a Cisco 3925 router in Primary/Secondary way.

Hello,

do you mean one tunnel as the backup of the other ? In what context (e.g. DMVPN) ?

thank you, guys! now it s clear for me

I am glad that our responses helped to clarify this for you. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I just want to note, it's unusual to exceed the number of allowed GRE tunnels, as the limits are rather large.

What is more problematic, is whether your device can handle the additional load imposed by using GRE tunnels, especially if there's IP packet fragmentation.  When dealing with GRE load issues, it's the volume and "kind" of traffic that often matters more than the number of tunnels.

If your device supports it, using the tcp mss-adjust command can be very helpful.

Also note, not all Cisco L3 switches support GRE tunnel (endpoints), and occasionally, they may perform GRE tunnel end-point processing in "software" (which is often much, much slower than their "normal" hardware packet forwarding performance).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card