Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Max. Cahnnel Groups on 1841

The first two channel groups are configured without any problem.

If you want to configure a third group there is an error message:

"%Channel-groups per port limit exceeded

%Insufficient resources to create channel group".

My question is:

How many channel groups can I have configured on a 1841 with 2 VWIC-2MFT-E1 Modules?

Or do I have to choose another Hardware?

My goal is to configure 5 Channel groups on one and 2 on the 2nd interface.

Wich IOS/HW Combination do I need to solve this problem?

Thanks and regards

• WAN Routing and Switching
5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Max. Cahnnel Groups on 1841

hi

i think you cannot go for more than eight 8 ports for any channel you create, and this 8 it s a value that may be less ,it deponds on the HD, the number of channel also deponds on your port density, i.e you can not use a port as member of two different channel..

you can use port from different module but

within te same chassis...

do a lookup on Etherchannel over the site.

HTH

do rate if it does clarify

Gold

This is a restriction with these cards. They say only 2 channel groups per card. Now that appears to only be partially true because I have seen posts on these forums that these cards can run more than 2 channels groups on 3800 series routers. The documentation clearly says 2 and that is what I have seen running these in 2800 series routers.

The above post is related to bundling of ethernet ports and is not your issue.

This is a limitation on the HWIC slot in 1841, it supports at max 2channel-groups on that.This is the same case with 2800 routers except 3800 routers.

You can configure more than 2 channel group in VWIC2.The channel-group limits depend on where you insert the VWIC2.e.g. in Case of 3800 HWIC slots: max 128 channel-groups across all 4 HWIC slots & in case of 2800 it's limited to 2 channel groups per HWIC slot.

Also limitation is per slot & not on VWIC2 port

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Gold

thanks amit

Never saw it spelled out anywhere.

They need to fix their doc. This one clearly says only 2 and it is a document for 3800 routers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_qanda_item0900aecd8028d2e5.shtml

Tim, I agree with you that the doc needs to be corrected.

Views
Helpful
Replies