cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximizing Circuit W/ Two Customers

mlenco
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 5Mb/s circuit. I have sublet 2Mb/s. How do I guarantee my sublet their 2Mb/s yet allow me to utilize above 3Mb/s if the sublet isn't using 2Mb/s i.e, WFC, WRED, Priority queing, custom queing, traffic-shaping, rate limit et cetera? My ISP doesn't preserve the TOS bit, right now. What's the best way to do it?

I am using a 3800 series router with current IOS.

Thanks!

Matt

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

policy-map guarantee

class-map sublet

!you'll need to be able to identify this traffic

!you don't need ToS, can match with ACL

bandwidth 2000

class class-defualt

no fair-queue

interface #

policy-map output guarantee

NB:

Above doesn't limit sublet to 2 Mbps, also doesn't address inbound (inbound best done on other side's outbound).

Why isn't the sublet limited to 2 Mb/s if the class-map sets a bandwidth statement to 2000? If the class-default is no fair-queue then what is the queing policy?

"Why isn't the sublet limited to 2 Mb/s if the class-map sets a bandwidth statement to 2000?"

Because the class bandwidth statement sets a minimum bandwidth guarantee, not a bandwidth maximum. (NB: if you want to limit the bandwidth, you would need to police or shape it.)

"If the class-default is no fair-queue then what is the queing policy"

FIFO. (NB: reason I suggest no FQ, FQ tends to disrupt class bandwidth guarantees on most IOSs/platforms.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card